[Libs-Or] Roof rakes

Perry Stokes director at bakerlib.org
Wed Oct 11 17:32:37 PDT 2017

*	What brand of roof rake did you get?

Last year with local stores selling out in hours, we were grabbing any we could get a hold of, including standard and premium (Avalanche) models.  Ultimately, I would recommend just having the Garant standard telescopic rakes. They are durable, uncomplicated, and one-piece for easy use and storage.

The premium Avalanche units with the snow chutes work well with fresh soft snow but if the snow has crusted at all, the standard rake is better for chopping into the snow and pulling down..

STANDARD -- For all roof types

Garant Telescopic roof rake  *RECOMMENDED*

https://www.amazon.com/Garant-GPRR24TU-Telescopic-Roof-Rake/dp/B00680IXB4 .

Avalanche SRD20

https://www.amazon.com/AVALANCHE-SRD20-24-Inch-Lightweight-Aluminum/dp/B001FWXTVY/ref=pd_sim_86_3?_encoding=UTF8 <https://www.amazon.com/AVALANCHE-SRD20-24-Inch-Lightweight-Aluminum/dp/B001FWXTVY/ref=pd_sim_86_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001FWXTVY&pd_rd_r=62WGM8K3EHS5GWJ48GNX&pd_rd_w=5zHTi&pd_rd_wg=quVIQ&psc=1&refRID=62WGM8K3EHS5GWJ48GNX> &pd_rd_i=B001FWXTVY&pd_rd_r=62WGM8K3EHS5GWJ48GNX&pd_rd_w=5zHTi&pd_rd_wg=quVIQ&psc=1&refRID=62WGM8K3EHS5GWJ48GNX

PREMIUM --  AVALANCHE            http://avalanche-snow.com/products-2/

For asphalt shingled        Model 500

For metal, shake, tile      Model 750

*	How did you contain the pieces of the roof rake? Did you have to buy a bag or other container separately?

For the units with multiple pieces (Avalanche), we started out just keeping them in their original box. Once those deteriorated, we got ski/snowboard bags. *Check your thrift stores.

*	How long did your roof rakes circulate?

Last season they were in extreme demand by the time we got them, so just loaned for 1 day (Must be returned by noon following day). Going into this winter, I think we’ll expand that to a 3 day, if not 7 day loan period.

*	How many rakes did you have in circulation? Should we plan on rakes breaking?

We ended up with 7 standard plus 4 premium Avalanche units. Our main branch (serving Baker, pop. 10,000) will start with 6 rakes (2 standard rakes plus the 4 premium units). Our 5 community branches (pop. under 500) will have one standard rake each.

None of our standard rakes were broken. There was some shredding of the plastic chutes on the Premium Avalanche units (they work best on fresh snow, but are not so effective and can get damaged when the snow has crystallized after melt & refreeze). Patrons that had the chutes tear were happy to donate/buy replacements.

*	How did you catalog your rakes?

Ad hoc, as best we could.

=008 170118s2011\\\\can\\\\\\\\\\\000\0\eng\d

=040 \\$aOXP$dOXP

=245 00$aRoof snow rake$h[Equipment] :$bfor all roof types /$cVarious manufacturers.

=264 \1$aQuébec, Canada :$bGarant,$c2011.

=300 \\$a1 roof snow rake ;$c3 x 6 x 70.5 inches +$e1 kit (Garant: 1 blade ; 1 telescoping pole; Avalanche: 1 blade ; 4 poles)

=336 \\$athree-dimensional form$2rdacontent

=337 \\$aunmediated$2rdamedia

=338 \\$aobject$2rdacarrier

=500 \\$aGarant model: "Made in Canada."

=500 \\$aGarant model: aluminum telescoping pole, plastic blade (24 inches wide), stabilizer bars; 4.5 pounds.

=520 \\$aGarant model: "Telescopic roof rake, aluminum unique Oval handle with non-slip grip, integrated push buttons & end cap on the handle, handle extends to 17-1/4', blade 24"." -- from manufacturer.

=650 \0$aHousehold appliances.

=650 \0$aRoof drainage.

=650 \0$aDwellings$xMaintenance and repair.

=710 2\$aIT͡S "Garant."

=710 2\$aAvalanche Inc. (Firm)

=999 \\$eEquipment <file://$eEquipment>

IMPORTANT additional note – require signed liability waiver form for accident/injury on checkout.

http://www.bakerlib.org/files/forms/personal-use-district-resources_liability-waiver_form.pdf/

Perry Stokes | Library Director

Baker County Library District | 2400 Resort St | Baker City, OR 97814

o: 866-297-1239 | m: 541.403.0450 | f: 541-523-9088 | e:  <mailto:director at bakerlib.org> director at bakerlib.org

Winter is almost all up ons, and my library is thinking about adding roof rakes to our modest "library of things." This would be our first time circulating a non-electronic tool, and we'd like some input from other libraries that have circulated roof rakes. Input like:

*	What brand of roof rake did you get?
*	How did you contain the pieces of the roof rake? Did you have to buy a bag or other container separately?
*	How long did your roof rakes circulate?
*	How many rakes did you have in circulation? Should we plan on rakes breaking?
*	How did you catalog your rakes?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Our first Winter Weather Advisory of the season went out today. Joy.

_

Jane Scheppke, MLIS

Assistant Director, Crook County Library

175 NW Meadow Lakes Drive

Prineville, OR 97754

(541) 447-7978 ext. 303

 <https://mail.co.crook.or.us/owa/14.3.319.2/scripts/premium/redir.aspx?C=aIMhSZz7canS6XaBDNRRoWtySW92jzSPL_v78zl1353Vdvg6XjrUCA..&URL=mailto%3ajscheppke%40crooklib.org> jscheppke at crooklib.org

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee or it appears from the context or otherwise that you have received this e-mail in error, please advise me immediately by reply e-mail, keep the contents confidential, and immediately delete the message and any attachments from your system.