[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Showcase post: Annie Downey, Reed College

Charles Wood wuchakewu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 19:30:02 PDT 2017

“In the aftermath of the horrifying racist marches, violence, and murder at
the University of Virginia at Charlottesville in August 2017, people across
the country have looked to history and shared values to help them clear
their heads and find ways to move America forward.” Annie Downey, Associate
College Librarian and Director of Research Services for Reed College,
explores one amazing historic example in her new article, “Letting Our
Values and History Guide Us: Inspiration for Libraries From Myles Horton.”
Please download and enjoy article here:
http://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss2/5/
‘Myles Horton, co-founded a community folk school and training center to
provide free adult education to rural Appalachian communities on everything
from life skills and reading to community building and grassroots activism
in 1932.’ “Highlander activists’ record of success is awe-inspiring as they
played an instrumental role in the growth of worker and civil rights
throughout the South. To name only a few examples, Rosa Parks attended
trainings at Highlander months before she ignited the Montgomery Bus
Boycott and Martin Luther King, Jr. first heard Pete Seeger (a Highlander
regular) sing “We Shall Overcome” at Highlander’s 25th Anniversary
Celebration (Horton, Kohl, & Kohl, 1998). Horton’s focus on popular, adult
community education is not only inspiring but also instructive for
libraries as we serve and educate our communities—whether they are public,
academic, or school communities—during this time of deep political divides
and strife.”
Post text borrowed from Annie Downey's article.

Thank you,
Charles Wood
OLA Communications