[Libs-Or] OLA Conference: Newly Added Program Session

OLA Conference Programs olaprograms at olaweb.org
Fri Apr 6 12:00:42 PDT 2018

Good news, OLA Conference-goers! We’re adding a session to the Thursday
program lineup!

*The Guadalajara Book Fair and Your Library: The Launch of Libros for
Oregon
<https://orlib18.sched.com/event/EPkN/just-added-the-guadalajara-book-fair-and-your-library-the-launch-of-libros-for-oregon>*
– originally scheduled as a preconference – will now be held on *Thursday,
April 19, 11:00am-12:30pm in Studio A*.

We hope many of you can join us!

Session description:

*But I don’t speak Spanish!*

*But the Guadalajara Book Fair seems so overwhelmingly huge! *

*But I can’t afford the staff time to go!*

*But I don’t even know where to start!*

*The Guadalajara Book Fair (FIL) remains the richest source of culturally
relevant, Spanish-language books to help us serve our many Latino/Hispanic
patrons. With the launch of “Libros for Oregon: Collections Connect
Communities,” Oregon’s public libraries will have a new resource to help
them tap the resources of the FIL. The goal of this LSTA-funded project is
for Spanish-speaking Oregonians statewide -- especially in rural areas --
to have improved access to high quality, culturally relevant collections.
The project's three parts are:*

*(1) form a book-buying cooperative to buy FIL materials for members;*

*(2) help participating libraries develop/implement outreach plans;*

*(3) create and publish a “Best of FIL” booklist, annotated to show US
availability.*

*Deborah Gitlitz, who administers the grant, and a panel including members
of this year’s test consortium, will report on the results of the two-year
project and explain how it will continue; tell stories about the gargantuan
FIL; answer questions; and explain how your library might apply to
participate in future years.*

See you in Eugene in a couple weeks!

--
*Sue Ludington*
*2018 OLA Conference Program Committee Chair*
olaprograms at olaweb.org