[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: SHORTCUT - The Wonder of Find!

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Wed Aug 8 07:56:38 PDT 2018

Greetings!

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on Libs-OR? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe to just the Tech-Talk newsletter!

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2018 Shared Results International

 This Week's Topic: SHORTCUT

1. VIDEO ... The Wonder of Find!
2. ARTICLE ... The Wonder of Find!
3. COMMUNICATING ... Your "Do Well and Like" Quad

[Find]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001eQZtslXLDBObCF4RuXa0jPgqjHH6Uk_BhPtzJgTQou3Ztk4Pmy1XMzDzWIi4UOgg37eeNkYeRwFQVNOIzDWiCOkkScY9gDf6MQLqXGpczYmBd-QIKtlCmcTzJBnu8x7QT-anxCIps6ikMhkcUQgHMOPcnLHuIZw2ep9j1DQzaepJ2i8Uh-cuhA==&c=wgsh_9BDfbpvP2k2yz9J33JeC4WEtFx0Spfx7w5REb-7Bt4llwB3IA==&ch=R7mwo-F1rau6JFpyE-9EkL2OxQ8v3tS2BPE87ZeKySIYB3XEAD3Nyw==>

Photo by Dino Reichmuth<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001eQZtslXLDBObCF4RuXa0jPgqjHH6Uk_BhPtzJgTQou3Ztk4Pmy1XMzDzWIi4UOggfA7oi-fNjTEEgfrNioVh8fj40k2k1gupao9CUKaFakC-mf8V4_rZFTIFb3gMFyxvVMJQCfJXy2tL20TUuxuWUYcECIwAd-fulOY_L7L4h2leqWDYKnM8J0NbMCWiH1VskZQhCph1-lIR4usM8NCRNLoBgtNZPtdXyH-oyVRqy6mL4k1SN0T5uo89QPgbEogfEKvpmrh7qxnIdjzbVcFQxQ==&c=wgsh_9BDfbpvP2k2yz9J33JeC4WEtFx0Spfx7w5REb-7Bt4llwB3IA==&ch=R7mwo-F1rau6JFpyE-9EkL2OxQ8v3tS2BPE87ZeKySIYB3XEAD3Nyw==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001eQZtslXLDBObCF4RuXa0jPgqjHH6Uk_BhPtzJgTQou3Ztk4Pmy1XMzDzWIi4UOggiAU3cxqu8XBjb14RVUS40-SJbC5uaEwYklChvDKjKHyGp44c8Ylkur5rOJnlQfWfnoQriBtEfOBM0sNAyPC50JwBWs-jFzmGXMYshP4JdvJUP5uaml9g0Zxh2nb5Qiqnuumuv6YgrUd37sDKBY_3U4R8DROPNQFVGv_POLcvXHENOl4aqTltnVAc-zpMsw2RWJ7m_WzU_Alm3gZgqaVucQ==&c=wgsh_9BDfbpvP2k2yz9J33JeC4WEtFx0Spfx7w5REb-7Bt4llwB3IA==&ch=R7mwo-F1rau6JFpyE-9EkL2OxQ8v3tS2BPE87ZeKySIYB3XEAD3Nyw==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Archives<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001eQZtslXLDBObCF4RuXa0jPgqjHH6Uk_BhPtzJgTQou3Ztk4Pmy1XMyUdMfMBHLW7k2bZ9hKTNldtEUGByXn_DBiP1rxr0FECvqp1rwmyw2KZUNtyll9oamxeK8KoEAHDH5yn2wdfSuQWdEscQev4XT8hoS2gOsOL&c=wgsh_9BDfbpvP2k2yz9J33JeC4WEtFx0Spfx7w5REb-7Bt4llwB3IA==&ch=R7mwo-F1rau6JFpyE-9EkL2OxQ8v3tS2BPE87ZeKySIYB3XEAD3Nyw==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

[explore]

HAVE YOU SEEN IT?

New Tech-Talk Database Offers an Easier Search of All Articles & Videos

No need to save your favorites.
Find everything at www.Tech-Talk.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001eQZtslXLDBObCF4RuXa0jPgqjHH6Uk_BhPtzJgTQou3Ztk4Pmy1XM8ul53nz5IJ3SwrpNAA-stq6J4LEdQ3-iFbkvdIlCnIEKI9SEI4JblgHXu9KjEhwpvqND9CKqJt3WLBl82yRjWEE94u05E4r-A==&c=wgsh_9BDfbpvP2k2yz9J33JeC4WEtFx0Spfx7w5REb-7Bt4llwB3IA==&ch=R7mwo-F1rau6JFpyE-9EkL2OxQ8v3tS2BPE87ZeKySIYB3XEAD3Nyw==>.

Check it out now<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001eQZtslXLDBObCF4RuXa0jPgqjHH6Uk_BhPtzJgTQou3Ztk4Pmy1XM8ul53nz5IJ3SwrpNAA-stq6J4LEdQ3-iFbkvdIlCnIEKI9SEI4JblgHXu9KjEhwpvqND9CKqJt3WLBl82yRjWEE94u05E4r-A==&c=wgsh_9BDfbpvP2k2yz9J33JeC4WEtFx0Spfx7w5REb-7Bt4llwB3IA==&ch=R7mwo-F1rau6JFpyE-9EkL2OxQ8v3tS2BPE87ZeKySIYB3XEAD3Nyw==>!

Tech-Talk: SHORTCUT - The Wonder of Find!
Novice

The question is not do you know this feature, but do you remember to use it as frequently as you could, and do you realize how pervasively helpful it can be?

I was working in a very long Word document (18 pages) and needed to edit one tiny word because I had misspelled a name. At first I scanned the pages, trying to locate which section it was in. I couldn't find it. It was taking up time.

Then I remembered the Find command (Ctrl+F)! It saved me a lot of wasted moments and prevented me from an embarrassing mistake by finding even more than I expected.

Later, I had a web page open, and I was looking up a shortcut for opening the Start menu. I had done an Internet search and found the right source, but the problem was that the article was long and busy. I couldn't find the reference to the Start Menu.

This is another type of situation where the "Find on page" command came in handy. I picked a word (or a phrase) ... in this case, "start"... I typed in Ctrl+F (the Find keyboard command) and there it was! Highlighted for me to see easily!

[find on page]

You can save a lot of time and frustration by using the easy Find command.

What's great is that the same keyboard shortcut works in...

·     Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PPT, OneNote)
·     Internet browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer)
·     File managers (Windows Explorer, File Explorer). See details on this below.

In these first two, the Find command takes you directly to the place on the page where the information is located. The text you search for will be highlighted.

Word Example

PowerPoint & Internet Example

[Find]

[Find in PPT]

How It Works in Microsoft Programs

In a Word document, an Excel spreadsheet, or a PPT file:

·     Simply hit Ctrl + F. It's easy to remember as "Find" starts with "F." Or, in the Home ribbon, in the Editing section, click on Find.

·     In Word, a Navigation window will open to the left of the screen with "Results" highlighted. Type your search word/phrase in the box and press Enter. The results will be highlighted.

·     In Excel or PPT, the Find window will open where you can enter your key word then click Find Next. The results will be highlighted. If there is more than one instance of the key word or phrase, use the Find Next button to move through the document to find each occurrence.

How It Works in Internet Browsers ... like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Explorer/Edge, and even Safari:

·     On the page you need to search, click the Ctrl + F keys.

·     The "Find" toolbar will open. NOTE: In some browsers like Chrome or Safari, it opens at the top right of the screen; in Firefox it opens in the bottom left.

·     Type your search word (or phrase) in the box and press Enter. The results will be highlighted.

·     Depending on the browser, you can use the "Next" button or the up/down arrows to find more instances of the word/phrase on the page.

TIP: Most of the Internet browsers will tell you how many instances (or matches) the word or phrase appears on that page -- as in the image below. This Firefox search shows "2 of 2 matches."

Example in Mozilla Firefox:

[Find]

NOTE: In some cases, you can bypass larger words that happen to contain the one you're searching for by using the Find whole word only option (or Whole Words - as in the image above). For example, if you're trying to find the word "port," this option would skip words such as "portable" and "portion."

[search window]

Use Ctrl + F to Find Whole Documents

Now that you have memorized the Ctrl + F "Find" command, you can also use it in Windows Explorer (Windows 7) and File Explorer (Windows 10) for doing a keyword search to find documents.

When you open your Explorer software and need to Search to find a particular document by keyword or phrase, try using Ctr + F to make your cursor jump right into the search box. Full disclosure, the Search box will be visible in the upper right of the screen, but Ctrl + F is a handy keystroke to expedite the process!

Then perform your search. All files with your terms in the name of the document, or within it, will be displayed. Below you see the word database in the name the file or the location. Where nothing is highlighted in your results, it means the term is within the document.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/10c2a6f5-cf8f-4883-9fca-faf1a7b51399.png]

NOTE: For more Tech-Talk articles on finding documents, go to the archive library and put "search files" in the keyword search box.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communications: Talking
Identify your "Do Well and Like" quad

How many different types of tasks do you do in your job? If you list them, I bet there are many ... maybe more than you realize.

Most people have some things they like to do and do better than other tasks they are responsible for. Evaluating what you do is a good step to knowing where you want to develop, for your current job and your future.

A simple tool you can use is the "Do Well and Like Quad." This is made up of four boxes where you list the different types of things you do (or could do). You break them up into four categories:

·     Like to Do and Do Well
·     Like to Do, but Don't Do Well Yet (great development area)
·     Don't Like to Do, but Do Well (may be able to move this to someone else)
·     Don't Like to Do, and Don't Do Well (have a chat with the manager about this)

Example...

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/a81e95a8-eef3-4f5b-ba1b-c49992f6f363.png]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001eQZtslXLDBObCF4RuXa0jPgqjHH6Uk_BhPtzJgTQou3Ztk4Pmy1XM1VG7PwmzWB7SdLJw1d9pwtcVMwb7rSrLZTy-kj_n1GzIJ4rdVPLTGs2PtSjzD64zaVCGTz_rMOrm-33COBamH-y4Yf969-398wYOHFLzvlK&c=wgsh_9BDfbpvP2k2yz9J33JeC4WEtFx0Spfx7w5REb-7Bt4llwB3IA==&ch=R7mwo-F1rau6JFpyE-9EkL2OxQ8v3tS2BPE87ZeKySIYB3XEAD3Nyw==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001eQZtslXLDBObCF4RuXa0jPgqjHH6Uk_BhPtzJgTQou3Ztk4Pmy1XM4yahEe5M8OlWWuppOasGzuN1bBU10NveagDGcY7BEjT3oc4OsHpB8mLCySvxnfN07cr4pEm3OiKRWYtMSM2JiUrpIUv5fksp7aeAhrjah7i-_9mWmMk-b4=&c=wgsh_9BDfbpvP2k2yz9J33JeC4WEtFx0Spfx7w5REb-7Bt4llwB3IA==&ch=R7mwo-F1rau6JFpyE-9EkL2OxQ8v3tS2BPE87ZeKySIYB3XEAD3Nyw==>

Copyright 1996-2018 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement.
For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

This paid subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
CE Coordinator / Public Library Consultant
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>
Ask me about the Edge Initiative<http://oregonedge.net/>!
[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]