[Libs-Or] Library Foundation donations

Buzzy Nielsen Bnielsen at crooklib.org
Tue Aug 28 17:01:34 PDT 2018

Hi Leah,

I think that the success of having a single organization where patrons to donate depends a lot on your Foundation's appetite to handle the extra traffic, and the likelihood that Foundation members in the future will have said appetite. I've worked with support groups who would relish that opportunity and others who wouldn't given the extra work entailed. My understanding is that patrons can get the same tax write-off donating directly to your government agency as they do for the Foundation.

Personally, I highly prefer having the Friends/Foundation cut the library a check and running those funds through a separate gift fund with your fiscal agent. You can even make a specific line item for Foundation donations or whatever other detail you need. I feel like this gives a fuller accounting to local policymakers and the public (to say nothing of the State Library/IMLS!) of the actual costs of running the library, including the extras paid for by the Foundation/Friends. Since the money is running through the government agency, it also adds a layer of accountability and auditing.

Cheers!
Buzzy

Director of Library Services
Crook County Library