[Libs-Or] Rural Broadband Initiative

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Wed Jan 10 15:48:41 PST 2018

Greetings! As a matter of possible interest, I'm forwarding along this meeting announcement even though the meeting will be in Salem, OR.

FYI, the recently formed organization, Connect Americans Now, will be holding a public meeting in the Local Government Center in Salem on January 25 in the afternoon for a Presentation on TV White Space Technology.

Here is the announcement:

What: Connect Americans Now Presentation on TV White Space Technology
When: January 25th, 2018; 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Where: Local Government Center, 1201 Court St. NE, Salem, OR 97301, Room 113
RSVP to: Laura Hanson, lhanson at hilltoppublicsolutions.com<mailto:lhanson at hilltoppublicsolutions.com>, 503-984-3275

A mixed technology model to bridge the digital divide
A discussion on Connect Americans Now's plan to close the digital divide in Oregon and the United States

Connect Americans Now<https://connectamericansnow.com/> (CAN), a group of concerned citizens, local organizations, rural advocates, and leading innovators committed to eliminating the digital divide, will be hosting a presentation/discussion regarding a promising new technology that can help deliver affordable and effective broadband access to rural Oregon communities.

CAN believes we can close the rural digital divide by unlocking a technology model that uses TV white space spectrum. Together with wireless technology, LTE fixed wireless, and satellite coverage, our plan of action will connect millions of Americans in a cost-effective manner. We believe we can achieve our mission while reducing operating costs by roughly 80 percent compared to fiber cables alone.

Please join us for:

  *   a presentation from CAN on TV white space technology and its potential application for Oregon stakeholders
  *   a discussion led by Oregon experts on how TV white space might help close the digital divide in Oregon
  *   a robust Q & A session as to how this technology can help propel Oregon forward

Expanding high speed internet connectivity into rural communities remains a local, state, and national imperative. Oregon business, education, health care, agriculture interests and more have been working hard to close the digital divide and this new tool can help accelerate those efforts.

Please join us and learn more about this cutting edge technology and add your voice to this ongoing discussion. Lunch and refreshments to be provided.

Cheers,

Darci Hanning, MLIS
Technology Development Consultant
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>