[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: PPT - Ways to Convert Your Slides to Text

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Jan 23 14:25:55 PST 2018

Greetings!

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library workers is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward.

This paid subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon. Enjoy!

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2018 Shared Results International

Brought to you by the State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

The State Library is pleased to provide you with Tech-Talk.com. We encourage you to make the most of this skill-building membership site at www.Tech-Talk.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001xEyyGg4aiu52nrZdoZfdOoEZseGuB_Dr8gt5CQg7zsBNkSjXq5nHJSRo7PijcD3_Dv7-ar67s3RnTGn9m_oyPKPH4n97RbwgaXtgkKjZUKaDDj6rLVMF8qUjz6S8_B3FOwyvK-NH77L6P_fbZTsMNA==&c=5mrk3QxRWbFvkTp21awKmth9nigwsV3b4XaSdy0xFe-7-nRX_OubSA==&ch=werAzsT2faiqriSQdUmH_3pLYvZEfrtJGf4De82DBBwXKG12udDuwg==>.

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH (case sensitive)
Contact Darci Hanning at darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> if you have questions.

[video]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001xEyyGg4aiu52nrZdoZfdOoEZseGuB_Dr8gt5CQg7zsBNkSjXq5nHJRQHwizbuzB2ghywj_W3ikFbzPIgzYMra-cibmUoAAz_Ji_VYqnLuTThQOofnz8piSe9jfWOkJUKvTMemfANvch6mm4Cs1_CB0AUaEm7bjgj1k_SxkAos0vV3ncET35DtwhVwHSnZH4ILExmBTKFUFo=&c=5mrk3QxRWbFvkTp21awKmth9nigwsV3b4XaSdy0xFe-7-nRX_OubSA==&ch=werAzsT2faiqriSQdUmH_3pLYvZEfrtJGf4De82DBBwXKG12udDuwg==>

 This Week's Tech-Talk: POWERPOINT

1. VIDEO ...  Ways to Convert Your Slides to Text
2. ARTICLE ... Ways to Convert Your Slides to Text
3. COMMUNICATING ... Repeat

NOTE: To view the VIDEO, click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001xEyyGg4aiu52nrZdoZfdOoEZseGuB_Dr8gt5CQg7zsBNkSjXq5nHJRQHwizbuzB2ghywj_W3ikFbzPIgzYMra-cibmUoAAz_Ji_VYqnLuTThQOofnz8piSe9jfWOkJUKvTMemfANvch6mm4Cs1_CB0AUaEm7bjgj1k_SxkAos0vV3ncET35DtwhVwHSnZH4ILExmBTKFUFo=&c=5mrk3QxRWbFvkTp21awKmth9nigwsV3b4XaSdy0xFe-7-nRX_OubSA==&ch=werAzsT2faiqriSQdUmH_3pLYvZEfrtJGf4De82DBBwXKG12udDuwg==>. Enter the Username and Password!

Tech-Talk: PPT – Ways to Convert Your Slides to Text
Intermediate

[PPT]

I'm creating a PowerPoint for an upcoming conference where I am the guest speaker. My slides, of course, highlight the important concepts and bullet points.

So when it comes to presenting the material, I could go "off the cuff" ... expand my thoughts on the fly during the live event. But I'd really rather have some notes with the detailed points that I want to convey so I won't miss anything.

Yes, I could copy each slide's content individually into a Word document and then annotate my presentation, but that seems pretty laborious. I bet there's a faster way!

So I look and within a few minutes I discovered two different ways to extract the text from my PowerPoint and save it quickly in a Word document so that I can elaborate on my notes and create a full script.

Why You Might Want to Convert PPT Slides to Text

You may have a PowerPoint filled with slides that you want to extract to a Word document because you want to:

·     Expand on your bullets in the slide outline - to give you notes for presenting
·     Re-purpose the text to a report or other document
·     Extract the text to put on a website
·     Create handouts

NOTE: Text that is inserted into shapes or tables will not extract, nor will any images.

Method 1: Export as Handout

You may have used the Export to create handouts for your presentation in the past. But you can use this method to export just the text (not a thumbnail of the slide) to a Word doc.

1.  In your PowerPoint, go to File, then choose Export from the left menu.
2.  Click on Create Handouts from the export types offered in the middle.
3.  Then the Create Handouts box will appear. Select that option.

[Create handouts]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/aac1dbad-a2f5-4e97-b861-6b6bc2aa16af.png]

·     A window will open with several Microsoft Word choices. Select the bottom choice, Outline only.

·     Click OK.

·     Immediately, Word will open a new document with the text of your PowerPoint presentation.

·     The text will be in a much larger format than you would normally use. To reformat your text size quickly, use this shortcut: Highlight all text in the document by holding Ctrl+A (the Control key, then add the A key). Then change the font to the size you want ... all in one stroke.

BONUS: To create handouts for participants use these same steps above, but instead of choosing outline, select from one of these options:
1.  Notes next to slide
2.  Blank lines next to slides
3.  Notes below slide
4.  Blank lines below slides

Method 2: Export as RTF and Convert to Word

[Save as]

This is another option to convert your text in slides to a Word doc.

·     In your PowerPoint document, go to File in the upper left of the ribbon and select Save As from the sidebar to open the Save As dialog box.

·      Choose the location you want to save the file, click the Save as Type box and choose Outline/RTF.

[Save as type]

·     Then click Save to save the file with the new format using its current name and location.

·     Open Microsoft Word.

·     Go to File in the Word ribbon and then choose Open and navigate to where you saved the RTF file you created and click on it to open in Word.

·     Save the file as a Word document.

·     Re-format your text and add any new content needed.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communications
Repeating is good

When I go for a brisk walk to get exercise, I like to listen to a book on tape or a motivation recording. One of my favorites is Earl Nightingale's The Strangest Secret.

The thing is, I've listened to it, literally, over 45 times. So I figure I'll get bored if I choose that one again. Now it's been awhile since I've last heard it, but I've listened to it so many times I know what it says.

Surprise! I turn it on, set out on the walk, and am amazed at how many new things I hear: insights that I had missed before; new concepts that now strike a chord!

It makes me realize that we simply don't get it all the first ... or even the second time around. Repetition is good.

Marketing Research

Studies show repeatedly (yes, pun intended) that we need to hear messages multiple times for them to take root. Whether we're communicating with a colleague, a child or a significant other, the rule of thumb is 7 times.

Take a look at how repetition works for getting a branding message out. See if you can fill in the blanks of these famous advertising jingles:

"Like a good neighbor, _______ ________ is here."
"GE: We bring good things _______ _______."
"The best part of waking up is ________ in your cup."
(answers below)

§ Got milk?
(used for 21 years, starting in 1993)

§ Just do it.
(used for over 26 years, starting in 1988)

§ Melts in your mouth, not in your hands.
(used for over 60 years, since 1954)

A Useful Practice

When you're conveying an important message to others, remember, it's not nagging if you creatively, and in a positive manner, find ways to repeat it. Human nature needs it.

And when you're on the receiving end (perhaps reminding yourself of concepts you don't want to forget) remember the power of repetition. Let it work for you.
---------------
NOTE: Earl Nightingale audio is about the power of positive thinking. It's on YouTube<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001xEyyGg4aiu52nrZdoZfdOoEZseGuB_Dr8gt5CQg7zsBNkSjXq5nHJRQHwizbuzB2-cLE5hlpR4X0PYcl_f4AnuUA0DNPYa3Jta8br8p7RmJ8wcLmj9DqOl5ochEStqulv3cfxYSarkb_A_b3z1O8CXu2-JZgkqJ4n_LDdaLMuw5lVn58_zHlcQ==&c=5mrk3QxRWbFvkTp21awKmth9nigwsV3b4XaSdy0xFe-7-nRX_OubSA==&ch=werAzsT2faiqriSQdUmH_3pLYvZEfrtJGf4De82DBBwXKG12udDuwg==> in case you're interested.
---------------
PUZZLE ANSWERS: State Farm, to life, Folgers

[innovation]

 CLICK HERE ... for the TECH-TALK LIBRARY!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001xEyyGg4aiu52nrZdoZfdOoEZseGuB_Dr8gt5CQg7zsBNkSjXq5nHJSRo7PijcD3_Dv7-ar67s3RnTGn9m_oyPKPH4n97RbwgaXtgkKjZUKaDDj6rLVMF8qUjz6S8_B3FOwyvK-NH77L6P_fbZTsMNA==&c=5mrk3QxRWbFvkTp21awKmth9nigwsV3b4XaSdy0xFe-7-nRX_OubSA==&ch=werAzsT2faiqriSQdUmH_3pLYvZEfrtJGf4De82DBBwXKG12udDuwg==>

NOTE: Forgot your user ID? See your sponsor block at the top of this email.
Problems? Contact us at Support at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:Support at Tech-Talk.com>

 YOU CAN ASK A QUESTION!

Do you have an idea for an article, or a problem using technology in some way...

We can help! CLICK HERE<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001xEyyGg4aiu52nrZdoZfdOoEZseGuB_Dr8gt5CQg7zsBNkSjXq5nHJSIBNo-Bw6HCgWKUs6nowTH7hQ27GrosXlFcGb8xSIkwTU77AbNmt3KqoBcA-s9qZL0SwuDAYy2sWthw30zgqD5PPqDH093ncIprQNefVbQRB-I5ECepOYg=&c=5mrk3QxRWbFvkTp21awKmth9nigwsV3b4XaSdy0xFe-7-nRX_OubSA==&ch=werAzsT2faiqriSQdUmH_3pLYvZEfrtJGf4De82DBBwXKG12udDuwg==>.

Just contact us and we'll get the answer for you right away.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/464c50f5-0d77-4705-bb24-bf95437ce585.jpg]

Copyright 1996-2017 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement.
For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

Cheers,

Darci Hanning, MLIS
Technology Development Consultant