[Libs-Or] Background checks for storytime presenters

Katie Anderson katiea at wccls.org
Fri Jul 6 12:43:26 PDT 2018

WCCLS will be contracting with people to present storytimes at our member libraries. We haven't done background checks like this before and are looking for some advice.

In our conversation with the Sheriff's Office, they asked us "What would screen people out on the background check?" There are some obvious things like any infractions, misdemeanors, and felonies related to violence of any kind and children abuse and neglect. What do you screen volunteers, contract workers, or staff who will be working directly with young children and families?

Thanks,
Katie Anderson
Youth Services Librarian
katiea at wccls.org<mailto:katiea at wccls.org> |503-846-3209 (new phone number!)