[Libs-Or] Strong progress made with Governor's office

Buzzy Nielsen, OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Thu Mar 15 14:42:36 PDT 2018

OLA lobbyist Amanda Dalton and I met with the Governor's staff earlier
today and are very satisfied with the progress. Our meeting focused on the
future of the State Library and State Librarian.

We are pleased by the selection of Caren Agata, Program Manager for the
Government Information and Library Services division of the State Library,
as interim director. We believe that Caren's appointment will provide much
needed stability for the agency and its staff.

We also are confident about the involvement both OLA and the Library Board
will have in helping select the future State Librarian. OLA and the State
Library Board will be involved in reviewing the position description and
announcement, recommending candidates, and interviewing. The aim is to have
a strong candidate, accepted by relevant stakeholders, that can be put
forth for Senate confirmation in September.

I assure you that your voices have been heard, both at the Governor's
office and in the Senate. Your comments demonstrated that Oregon libraries
have a strong interest in maintaining a well-run and well-managed State
Library. At this time, it would be helpful if you could please limit
comments directed to the Governor and Senators. This show of goodwill will
help OLA, the State Library Board, and State Library staff better work
together with the Governor's office and the Senate to ensure a positive
future for the State Library.

MaryKay Dahlgreen is a dedicated public servant who made many positive
impacts during her 22 years at the State Library. Fortunately for us, this
will not be the last we see of her in the Oregon Library community.
However, right now we want to focus on the future of the State Library and
State Librarian, both for the sake of the State Library staff and of its
many stakeholders, including ourselves.

Thank you all for caring so much!

Cheers!
Buzzy Nielsen

--
OLA President, 2017-18
olapresident at olaweb.org
971-270-0527

*You want weapons? We're in a library. Books are the best weapon in the
world. This room's the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself! ~The
Doctor*