[Libs-Or] REMINDER: JOB POSTING: Metadata Specialist, Deschutes Public Library
emilyo at dpls.lib.or.us
Wed Mar 28 12:02:43 PDT 2018
The Deschutes Public Library is hiring a full-time Metadata Specialist.
Technical Services Metadata Specialist
Job Location: Downtown Bend Library - Bend, OR
Position Type: Full Time (40 hrs. per week)
Education Level: High School/G.E.D.
Salary Range: $3,038.47 month
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 12, 2018, at 12:01 AM
Starting Monthly Salary: $3,038.47 - 3,129.62 for a full-time schedule with excellent benefits.
Provides accurate and quality bibliographic, item, authority and holdings records in order to maintain the catalog's integrity and database reliability for staff and patrons.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required of all employees:
1. Communication (Seeks first to understand; uses Platinum rule)
2. Customer Service (Makes and maintains effective connections with customers)
3. Personal Leadership (Inspires greatness)
4. Results (Aligns work with local & District priorities; accepts responsibility for outcomes)
5. Self-Management (Cares for self; is aware of emotions & impact on others)
6. Relationships - Teamwork (Creates an environment of trust)
7. Technology (Embraces new technology for efficiencies and life-long learning)
1. Catalogs library materials following existing national standards and local practices to create useful and accurate data for materials in all formats and languages.
2. Collects, adds, edits, and enhances bibliographic records for the District's database creating public catalog records that are retrievable from an array of discovery strategies.
3. Uses a variety of software programs including Connexion, WebDewey, Z39.50 and Sierra Cataloging, as well as a variety of websites.
4. Reviews, edits, and enhances bibliographic cataloging for monographic and serial materials in English and Spanish languages.
5. Performs database management actions and updates to ensure the integrity of the catalog and maintain appropriate circulation status.
6. Verifies name, subject, and series authorities, consulting national authority control resources making changes as needed.
7. Updates all types of ILS records including bibliographic, order, checkin and item records.
8. Creates labels and preps material for final processing.
9. Performs other duties as assigned including materials, resources, and public services responsibilities as needed.
1. Answers questions and assists in the use of library materials, the library's catalog, webpage, databases, Internet, and other digital/PC resources.
2. Enters information, verifies accuracy and maintains, updates, researches and corrects errors in appropriate internal, electronic library resources and customer records.
3. Explains library policies and procedures to customers as needed.
4. Provides orientation, training, scheduling, and/or assessment of volunteers as directed by manager or supervisor.
5. Provides assistance to colleagues by mentoring and assisting as needed.
6. Participates on committees and project/action teams as directed by manager.
Knowledge and experience with OCLC software.
Extensive and/or working knowledge of (based on assignment and needs of position):
1. Sierra modules: Cataloging, Acquisitions, Serials. Working knowledge of Circulation module.
2. Internet and other discovery tools.
3. Microsoft Office Suite of products including Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher.
4. Library's integrated library system in regards to record interconnectivity, effective problem solving skills, bibliographic control, and acquisitions integrity.
5. Customer service techniques to handle a variety of customer interactions.
6. Effective oral and written communications.
7. Interpersonal skills to promote teamwork.
8. Excellent knowledge of computers, related equipment, Internet and fundamental research, and commonly used office software to perform data entry and to create original documents, save, and open/review/edit existing documents.
9. Basic knowledge of library circulation and ILL policies and procedures (and designated Administrative Rules).
Attributes and Talents
* Demonstrates effective judgment and decision making processes
* Provides appropriate responses and direction to predictable and unpredictable situations
* Models accountable behaviors and interactions to create a foundation of trust
* Embraces change
* Seeks ways to learn continuously
* Maintains confidentiality for customer records
* Creates a positive and productive work environment
Effective Team Leader
* Promotes team cohesiveness and accountability
* Inspires others through effective personal leadership and team collaboration
* Shares expertise and talents
* Participates actively and productively in meetings
* Written and oral communication is accurate, concise, timely, and professional
* Has means and methods to interact effectively with others in person and in writing
Education & Experience
* High school diploma or equivalent with preference for business study at a two-year college
* Two to three years prior experience working in a high traffic environment serving all ages
* Require demonstrated success working both independently and in a team setting
Working Environment/Physical Demands
* Office, indoor setting
* Sitting, standing, walking, bending, reaching, grasping, twisting, lifting (up to 30 pounds)
* Pushing/Pulling 100 pound carts
* Close and distant vision with ability to adjust focus for accurate reading of low, middle, and high shelves
* Reading for comprehension and direction (policies & procedures)
* Work effectively with minimal supervision and self-directed learning
* Handling multiple tasks effectively and efficiently in high volume environment that may require repetitive tasks
* High volume environment with high accuracy requirements for numeric and alpha processing
* Speaking to share/respond, to maintain relationships and to convey instructions and/or direction
* Considerable cognitive process to make effective decisions for interactions with public visitors
* Various equipment includes computers with a keyboard and mouse, telephone, and other electronic devices to share documents, information and discussion
* Travel to other district locations and/or to workshops/professional meetings/conferences
The full posting description can be found here:
The posting closes April 12th. Any interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to apply!
Emily O'Neal, M.L.S.
Technical Services Manager
Deschutes Public Library
emilyo at deschuteslibrary.org<mailto:emilyo at deschuteslibrary.org>
[Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services Logo]
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 15711 bytes
More information about the Libs-Or