[Libs-Or] Joint Committee on Student Success => Meeting Schedule

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Fri May 4 13:29:02 PDT 2018

Please pardon the cross-posting.

Hi,

I recently learned about the Oregon State Legislature's Joint Committee on Student Success, and I thought some of you might like to know about it. This could be a good opportunity to share your priorities or concerns about Oregon K-12 education.

This statement from the Oregon School Board Association<http://www.osba.org/News-Center/Announcements/2018-01-04_JointCommitteeOnStudentSuccess.aspx> offers background information and explains that the "committee's work will be based on five foundational principles:

1.      Early childhood education is important to school success.

2.      Attendance and having sufficient learning time are crucial.

3.      Oregon must improve high school graduation rates.

4.      The school system needs to be accountable and transparent.

5.      Schools need stable and sufficient resources."

I contacted Corey Rosenberg at the Legislative Policy and Research Office, and he confirmed that, "All of the meetings are open for public observation. Specifically, the 7:00 pm public hearings are completely open. Anyone who wishes can simply sign up at the venue and provide testimony to the committee. The only restriction would be if there were more people than there was time. In that regard, the co-chairs of the committee have been limiting testimony to 2-3 minutes per person, in order to allow more people to speak. These meetings are streamed live and recorded for posterity. They will be available for both the public and committee to view after the meeting."

Those who are interested may subscribe to receive alerts when anything new is posted on the committee's webpage<https://apps.leg.state.or.us/liz/2017I1/Committees/JCSS/Overview>. Options to subscribe via email or RSS feed are available in the top right corner. Meeting information is posted at least one week before each meeting. Click on the meeting date in the column on the right for the related agenda and meeting materials.

Corey said that the full schedule of meetings was announced by the Senate President's Office. He shared the list with me, and I pasted it in below my signature block. You'll see that some meetings already occurred, but others are scheduled from May 9th through October 10th in Clackamas, Woodburn, Medford, Beaverton, Redmond, Portland, and Coos Bay.

If you have questions, I will try to answer them. Or, contact Corey Rosenberg at corey.rosenberg at oregonlegislature.gov<mailto:corey.rosenberg at oregonlegislature.gov> or 503-986-1535.

Thanks,
Jen

Links: