[Libs-Or] OASL and OLA support George by Alex Gino

Buzzy Nielsen, OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Mon May 7 11:10:26 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to Ross Betzer's email from last week, Oregon Association of
School Libraries President Paige Battle and I would like to share the
attached statement of support for the inclusion of the book George by Alex
Gino in the grades 3-5 list of the 2018-19 Oregon Battle of the Books. Both
OASL and OLA are disappointed by efforts to limit the intellectual freedom
of Oregon students and parents, especially of a book that's intended to
share a perspective from transgender individuals, who have been
historically under-represented in literature at all levels.

We have sent this letter to reporters, newsrooms, and school districts that
have thus far been covered in the media, or at least those of which we're
aware. Please feel free to share this it with your local schools,
libraries, and media as you feel appropriate.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact Paige (
president at oasl.olaweb.org, 503-916-5160 x81074) or me (
olapresident at olaweb.org, 541-447-7978 x301).

Cheers!
Buzzy Nielsen

--
OLA President, 2017-18
olapresident at olaweb.org
541-447-7978 x301

*You want weapons? We're in a library. Books are the best weapon in the
world. This room's the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself! ~The
Doctor*