[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Author Showcase: Heather McNeil, Deschutes Public Library

Charles Wood wuchakewu at gmail.com
Sun May 13 19:31:57 PDT 2018

Heather McNeil has been the Youth Services Manager at Deschutes Public
Library for 19 years. She is the recipient of OLA’s 2014 Librarian of the
Year and the 2017 Evelyn Sibley Lampman Award, and she served on the 2005
Newbery and 2018 Caldecott Committees.  Please download and read her latest
article, “What Did We Learn? Youth and Family Programs at Deschutes Public
Library” here:

https://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss4/10/

>From Heather’s article, “A four-year-old in a sparkly dress and tiara.
Patrons loudly hammering on leather strips. Sleepy faces peering up from
sleeping bags. Teens geeking out over Sherlock and anime characters. Llamas
peeing on the carpet. Wait. What? Llamas in the library? Surely not. Who
would bring llamas in the library? That would be me. And it’s just one of
the many things I’ve learned over the years about youth programs, good,
bad, and ugly. Let’s start with the good.”

Please read on, you won’t regret it. This article illustrates how good life
can be, and provides examples and lessons of how to make it that way.

Thank you,
Charles Wood
OLA Communications