[Libs-Or] State Archives offers four internship opportunities

Arlene Weible arlene.weible at state.or.us
Fri Oct 26 15:12:03 PDT 2018

Re-posted from the Oregon Heritage Commission newsletter ... see end of message for contact information.

State Archives offers four internship opportunities

Archives Intern

The intern will work closely with the Accessions Archivist, who is responsible for a variety of key behind-the-scenes duties that are crucial to the day to day functioning of the State Archives.  The student will work under the direction of the Accessions Archivist, however the overall internship experience will be under the guidance of the Student Internship Program Coordinator.  Examples of the experiences offered by this internship include: Assisting with the transition from a FileMaker locator index to a new space management system. Organizing and preparing records received by the Archives so that they are ready for use by the public.  This would include reboxing, refoldering, and relocating records turned over to the Archives from both state and local government offices, comprising a wide variety of record types.

Archives Intern
We will work with you to develop an individualized experience that addresses your specific academic and career interests.

Conduct primary source records research - Students that want to develop a research project using our unique primary source records are welcome to contact us and discuss an internship that would center on the use of Oregon state and local government records.  These records encompass a wide variety of time periods and include such subjects as: Natural resources policy; Military and social history; Politics and the Oregon State Legislature; Transportation

Learn about the archives and records profession - Students interested in a career in public history can participate in direct hands-on experience with our staff to gain a better understanding of what it means to be an archivist or records professional.  Examples of possible experiences include: Digital preservation of non-electronic records, such as historic audio recordings and images; Assisting in reference for requests made both in person and via e-mail; Development of publications, such as the Oregon Blue Book; Outreach such as social media, exhibit development, and special events; Collaboration with local records custodians in the care and management of public records; and Working directly with original records to prepare them for public research. Our interns also have the opportunity to obtain advice and guidance from experienced professionals through our "career path panels" program.

Archives Intern - Graduate Student Intern
We will work with you to develop an individualized experience tailored to your career interests and academic program.  Our interns work directly with our archivists and records professionals to gain valuable experience as an important contributing member of our team.  Some of the opportunities may include: Working with and processing of original Oregon state and local government records. Assisting the Reference staff through the location of records and the fulfillment of requests; research, development, and execution of exhibits and public events; digital preservation of original records, including sound and visual media; assisting with accessioned records and preparing them for public use; may act as the lead worker for undergraduate interns. Assisting the Publications staff with research and development of the Oregon Blue Book. Working with our records professionals to learn about managing government records, including an introduction to electronic records management and the management of transitional records at the State Records Center. Development of social media content relating to the intern's experience at the State Archives; Meeting other area archivists, records professionals, curators, and public historians to learn about the different opportunities available in the archival and records profession. Our interns also have the opportunity to obtain advice and guidance from experienced professionals through our "career path panels" program.

Records Management Intern
The Intern will work as part of the Records Management team. This unit is responsible for a variety of key behind-the-scenes duties that are critical to one of the core functions of the State Archives. The student will work under the direction of the Unit Manager, while the overall internship experience will be under the guidance of the Student Internship Program Coordinator. Experiences offered by this internship may include: Assist with development of strategies to effectively map stack location data to a new electronic records management system, Assist with digitization projects, including filing and classification of records in the new electronic records management system, Develop social media content relating to the intern's experience at the State Archives, Our interns also have the opportunity to obtain advice and guidance from experienced professionals through our "career path panels" program.

To read the full job descriptions, including work location, hours, qualifications, etc., visit here<https://sos.oregon.gov/Pages/employmentopportunities.aspx>. If you have questions, contact Todd Shaffer, Student Internship Program Coordinator, at (503) 373-0701 ext. 1 or email todd.l.shaffer at oregon.gov<mailto:todd.l.shaffer at oregon.gov>.

Arlene Weible, MLS
Electronic Services Consultant
Oregon Federal Regional Depository Coordinator
arlene.weible at state.or.us<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us> | 503-378-5020 | http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>
[cid:image003.png at 01D2BCD4.A65A4C70]