[Libs-Or] Letters to Libraries Online September 2018

Eva Luna Eva.Luna at state.or.us
Wed Sep 5 12:03:30 PDT 2018

Having trouble viewing this HTML e-mail? Click here<https://www.oregon.gov/osl/LTLO/LTLOSep2018/Sep2018LTLO.htm>

Library Board News

State Library Board Thanks Marie Ballance

Marie Ballance, the current designee for the Department of Education position on the State Library Board stepped down from her position as of August 18th. Marie will be moving on as the Principal of Eagle Charter School and will no longer be serving on the Board. We congratulate Marie in her new position and express our thanks for all her support and contribution on the Board.

Return to top of page

State Library News

Outreach, Outreach, Outreach - We are Always Looking for Opportunities

<https://www.oregon.gov/osl/LTLO/LTLOSep2018/DiversityConference.png>One of the key tasks for any library is to be on the continual lookout for opportunities to get your message out and promote your services.

The State Library may be a bit different than most libraries, but we are always looking for ways to promote ourselves.  So, we often end up going where the state employees go.

One of these events is the annual State of Oregon Diversity Conference held every summer at the Salem Convention Center.  This two day conference attracts a couple of thousand state employees. In fact, the conference is a major training opportunity for state employees who travel to Salem from throughout the state.

"Beyond Tolerance, Leveraging Differences" is this year's theme and there are a wide variety of breakout sessions with topics that appeal to a range of interests and experience levels.
We look forward to this conference each and every year since it is an opportunity to meet a couple of hundred state employees and talk about how the library serves them. We also want to hear more about the work they perform for the state and try to match our services to address their professional needs.

It's a great way for the reference librarians to spend a fabulous two days and meet their current and future clients. Perhaps there are similar opportunities in your location?