[Libs-Or] LTLO April 2019

The State Library of Oregon jacqui.krawetz at state.or.us
Tue Apr 2 10:59:49 PDT 2019

View this email in your browser (https://mailchi.mp/bd9cc09780d6/ltlo-april-2019?e=d80f7e9202)
Letters to Libraries Online: News from the State Library of Oregon
Volume 29, Issue 4 - April 2019

** State Library News

** New State Librarian search update
The recruitment for a new State Librarian was narrowed down to two candidates, and one name has been moved forward to the Governor for her review. Governor Brown was scheduled to meet the candidate on March 25, so an announcement from her office may be coming soon.

**
State Library at the OLA/WLA
Conference 2019

The State Library will have a booth and will be presenting at the OLA/WLA Conference in Vancouver, Washington.
* Greta Bergquist, Leap Into Science on Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. and Friday at 1:45 p.m.
* Amy Coughenour, Libraries Show and Tell: Database Promotion from the Inside Out on Thursday at 1:45 p.m.
* Ross Fuqua and Greta Bergquist, Grand Grantees, Sublime Subrecipients on Friday at 10 a.m.
* Darci Hanning, Charting a Path Towards a Digitally Literate Community on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.

Our booth will be just outside the Exhibits Hall. Be sure to drop by and discover the services and resources we offer libraries!

** Oregon Reference Summit registration is open
Registration is now open for the Oregon Reference Summit (https://answerland.org/news-events/summit/) being held Friday, May 31, 2019, at the CH2M Hill Alumni Center (https://www.osualum.com/s/359/16/interior.aspx?sid=359&gid=1001&pgid=285) at Oregon State University in Corvallis, Oregon.

This is a one-day conference with reference-focused content for all skill levels, library types, and experiences. It is an excellent opportunity to meet reference staff from around the state and exchange ideas.

Registration is $50 and includes breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snacks (https://answerland.org/news-events/summit/oregon-reference-summit-menu-2019/) . There is a scholarship that covers the full cost of registration. Go here to learn more and apply (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeMpl-B22991CsppYZM4pqx_5PpyzdvriS9j0-brbQsFgpWxA/viewform) .

To register and view program information, please visit our website (https://answerland.org/news-events/summit/) . Registration will close Friday, May 17 at 5 p.m.

** Library Support and Development Services
http://www.oslis.org

** Spotlight on services: OSLIS video tutorials teach research skills

Teaching students how to do research is the goal of Oregon School Library Information System (OSLIS). It is even in the website’s tagline: Learn to Research!

With that goal in mind, Jen Maurer, school library consultant in Library Support, worked closely with the OSLIS committee (https://oslis.org/oslissupport/aboutoslis/osliscommittee) chair and members over the last several years to develop 28 Learn to Research video tutorials – 15 for secondary (https://secondary.oslis.org/learn-to-research/external-resources/learn-to-research-videos-for-secondary) students and 13 for elementary (https://elementary.oslis.org/learn-to-research/external-resources/learn-to-research-videos-for-elementary) . Each 3- to 8-minute video focuses on a specific research skill (https://oslis.org/learn-to-research/posters-and-bookmarks) , from choosing a topic and developing questions, to adding and crediting sources.

The use of these engaging videos by teachers and library staff in Oregon, around the U.S. and the world is growing. Last month, an elementary school librarian in Cincinnati, Ohio wrote to say she is using the videos “…with all of my fourth through sixth grade students. The tutorials are high quality and support all of our information literacy needs.”

A librarian in Texas shared similar feedback: “Thank you for your wonderful instructional videos. The quality and length are perfect.” A high school librarian in Michigan noted she is using the evaluating websites video with her students and asked if she could embed it in a professional development course she is creating for educators in her state.

>From Canada, a textbook publisher and a K-12 distance education institution each asked for permission to use the evaluating websites video in their online materials. If you haven’t checked out the Learn to Research video tutorials on OSLIS, what are you waiting for?

Questions? Contact Jen at jennifer.maurer at state.or.us (mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us) or 503-378-5011.

** Edge 2.0 at the OLA/WLA Conference next month
Interested in learning more about how your library can improve its digital literacy offerings and create powerful change in your community? Join the State Library of Oregon and the Edge team at Charting a Path Towards a Digitally Literate Community at the OLA/WLA Conference in Vancouver, Washington.

This program shows how the Edge Toolkit is used by libraries to: assess how they are helping residents embrace and understand digital tools; build internal staff capacity to become more technologically adept so residents become more productive digital citizens; and create programs and services within the digital landscape for community members.

The Edge team will also host a booth at the conference. Stop by to learn more about the world of possibilities the Edge toolkit can unlock for libraries.

The session, presented by Lourdes Aceves, senior program manager, Edge Initiative, Urban Libraries Council, and Darci Hanning, public library consultant, State Library of Oregon, will take place from 3:30 to 4:45 p.m. on Saturday, April 20.

The Edge toolkit is available to all public libraries in Oregon and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

** Call for nominations to Answerland Advisory Committee

We are looking for new members to serve on the Answerland Advisory Committee (https://www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Pages/AAC.aspx) (AAC).

Nominations are being accepted online at https://goo.gl/forms/QbVAapqVTPZG7jBX2. Based on current membership, special consideration will be given to nominees from community college and tribal libraries as well as those libraries from the eastern side of the state. Self-nominations are encouraged.

If you know someone who may be interested, please pass along this message.

The deadline for nominations is Friday, April 26, 5 p.m.

** Talking Book and Braille Library

** Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Talking Book and Braille Library at the State Library of Oregon!

Talking Book and Braille Library has been at the State Library of Oregon for 50 years! For the next six months, we will highlight service changes, staff news, media mentions, building alterations, and other fun vignettes from Talking Books. We have a special 50th anniversary logo (see above).

Talking Books moved from the Library Association of Portland in July 1969 to the State Library in Salem to better serve Oregonians with print impairments. The library was then located at 432 Church Street SE, with seven staff members overseen by librarian Mary Jane Shamp.

The director of the National Library Service, Robert Bray, came to tour the new facility that November. Circulation was averaging 11,000 items per month to 1,700 users, including record discs, two-track cassette tapes, Braille, and large print books. Today Talking Books circulates an average of 31,000 items per month to 5,200 users, and all still with a staff of just seven.

Be sure to check the next issue of LTLO for more 50th anniversary history. You can also follow the #TalkingBookTuesday and #ORTalkingBooks50th social media campaigns on the State Library’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts (@statelibraryor) for more tidbits every week.

** Contacts
Library Support and Development Services:
Ferol Weyand, Darci Hanning, Jennifer Maurer, Ross Fuqua, Tamara Ottum, Arlene Weible, Susan Westin, Greta Bergquist

Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library Manager:
Susan Westin, 503-378-5435

Government Information and Library Services Manager:
Caren Agata, 503-378-5030

Interim State Librarian:
Caren Agata, 503-378-5030

Letter to Libraries Online Editor:
Jacqui Krawetz: 503-378-4244

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the State Library of Oregon.

Mission
The State Library provides leadership and resources to continue growing vibrant library services for Oregonians with print disabilities, the Legislature and state government, and all Oregonians through local libraries.

Our mailing address is:
State Library of Oregon, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
Copyright ©2019, All rights reserved.

This email was sent to libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us (mailto:libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us)
why did I get this? (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/about?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=2d606569a5&e=d80f7e9202&c=78ae470247)     unsubscribe from this list (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=2d606569a5&e=d80f7e9202&c=78ae470247)     update subscription preferences (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=2d606569a5&e=d80f7e9202)
State Library of Oregon . 250 Winter St NE . Salem, OR 97301-3929 . USA