[Libs-Or] Planning for Fall Civics workshops!

D Cohen dcohen at hevanet.com
Sun Apr 21 18:20:15 PDT 2019

Hello everyone!

Soon we will be entering a new election phase. Fall is a good time to
prepare for the more intense winter/spring election season. And, now is the
time to do planning for fall workshops. All workshops are non-partisan.

Here's how your patrons can get ready for key concerns that will arise.

We know:

*	That foreign powers are keen to divide our country and will abuse
social media to sway public opinion and incite discord.
*	That election season is a process where sifting truth from lies is a
challenging and constant effort.

Best workshop solution: Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda

We know:

*	People often attempt to use the Constitution to explain or justify
opinions and arguments. A better appreciation of the Constitution will help
us sort wheat from chaff when candidates attempt this.
*	That the most important thing the Framers of the Constitution agreed
on was to compromise.
*	Elected officials and the Supreme Court have interpreted the
Constitution differently at different times in our country's history. This
can teach us something.

Best workshop solution: The Influence of the Constitution on Political and
Civic Conversation

We know:

*	That election systems have far more possible configurations than
what most of us are aware and that some localities [e.g. Benton County] and
states [Maine] are changing voting methods to produce a fairer result.
*	That most Americans agree money in politics is a problem. We'll
solve this problem by understanding it better, while, in the meantime, we
need to know the tools available to track campaign money.

Best workshop solution: Beyond Voting: Elections and Campaign Finance

We know:

*	That Democracy, as a self-governing system of government, requires
involvement by the public.
*	Citizens often do not understand the entrance points for civic
engagement.
*	Knowledge is power; providing citizens with the tools of Democracy
encourages involvement.

Best workshop solution: Citizen Activism 101: Making Change Happen

Link to full description of all workshops:
http://www.civicthinker.net/DescriptiveFlyer-2019.pdf

Link to resource lists: http://www.civicthinker.net/

To keep up-to-date and for occasional useful civic and political info:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

Or join the Civics email list [let me know]

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcohen at hevanet.com <mailto:dcohen at hevanet.com>

Civics for Adults - and Others - Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and
Inspire Politcal Engagement

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

"My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not
right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!" Rep. John Lewis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY