[Libs-Or] New Titles on Technology from the State Library of Oregon

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Thu Apr 25 10:53:39 PDT 2019

Greetings!

These new books are available for interlibrary loan from the State Library of Oregon. It is part of the Library and Information Science Collection<https://www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Pages/LIS-Collection.aspx>, which is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act.

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D4FB55.473D2B10]

Beyond Reality: Augmented, Virtual, and Mixed Reality in the Library<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1511583/ada?qu=beyond+reality> edited by Kenneth J. Varnum. ALA Editions, 2019. 978-0-8389-1785-5.

Community Technology Projects: Making Them Work<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1513361/one?qu=TITLE%3D%22community+technology+projects%22> by Margaret Heller. ALA Editions, 2019. 978-0-8389-1837-1.

>From the publisher: As a newly minted librarian, Heller volunteered at a grassroots independent library founded to bring together the work of disparate art communities of Chicago. Since then she has participated in many library technology communities with stints on boards, working groups, conference planning committees, and social media-based outreach. Grounded in her research of dozens of community tech projects, Heller presents a guide exploring how they work, how to get involved, and how to make them better. Library technology managers, grant-makers, scholars, and project managers will all benefit from Heller's incisive discussion of such topics as

*         a historical overview, including the humble beginnings of OCLC and early library computerized cataloging projects, that offers lessons for today;
*         how to find community needs that match your motivation;
*         using personas to learn about community members;
*         choosing a name and legal structure for a new community;
*         five in-depth case studies, including Project Bamboo, Hathi Trust, and the Digital Public Library of America;
*         techniques for project management, documentation, and discussion;
*         forging a path from small, grant-funded projects to a sustained collective good;
*         reconciling hacker ideology and geek culture with inclusive communities;
*         proven methods for supporting tasks and emotions in library tech communities; and
*         successes and challenges of vendor user groups.

For readers who want to get started with community technology projects, as well as those who are already engaged in collaborations, the techniques and best practices in Heller's guide will provide the tools and inspiration to make better library technology communities.

New Top Technologies Every Librarian Needs to Know<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1513389/one?qu=New+Top+Technologies+Every+Librarian+Needs+to+Know> edited by Kenneth J. Varnum. ALA Neal-Schuman, 2019. 978-0-8389-1782-4.

>From the publisher: While it's inspiring to ponder the libraries of the 22nd century, it's a lot more practical to think ahead to the next five years. That's just what Varnum and his hand-picked team of contributors have done, showing library technology staff and administrators where to invest time and money to receive the greatest benefits. Their ideas will stimulate strategic thinking and help library staff make informed decisions about meeting user expectations and delivering services. Sure conversation starters and informative for any library, chapters include

*         "Impetus to Innovate: Convergence and Library Trends," by A.J. Million and Heather Lea Moulaison
*         "Hands-Free Augmented Reality: Impacting the Library Future," by Brigitte M. Bell and Terry Cottrell
*         "Libraries and Archives Augmenting the World," by William Denton
*         "The Future of Cloud-Based Library Systems," by Steven Bowers and Elliot Jonathan Polak
*         "Library Discovery: From Ponds to Streams," by Varnum
*         "Exit As Strategy: Web Services as the New Websites for Many Libraries," by Anson Parker, VP Nagraj, and David Moody
*         "Reading and Non-Reading: Text Mining in Critical Practice," by Devin Higgins
*         "Bigger, Better, Together: Building the Digital Library of the Future," by Jeremy York
*         "The Case for Open Hardware in Libraries," by Jason Griffey

This compendium offers an expert-level view of the library technology that's just around the corner.

If you would like to request these or other materials<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/> from the State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process (e.g. OCLC or ALA request form). If you do not have access to ILL or are not currently affiliated with a library, please contact me to discuss alternative options for borrowing the material.

We welcome purchase suggestions. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. Contact me with your recommendations!

Cheers!
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]