[Libs-Or] New Self-Paced Tutorial: Serving those with Mental Health Challenges in the Library

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Fri Aug 23 11:37:08 PDT 2019

Greetings!

Infopeople is pleased to announce a new online, self-paced tutorial:

>From Compassion to Action: Serving those with Mental Health Challenges in the Library<https://my.nicheacademy.com/infopeople/course/7755>

Would you like to better understand mental health and mental health challenges in order to provide compassionate and meaningful library resources and services?  Approximately 1 in 5 adults in the U.S. experience mental health challenges in a given year, so it is highly likely that individuals with mental health challenges are visiting and working at every library each day.
By completing this self-paced course, you will learn to...

  *   Use respectful person-first language regarding mental health
  *   Understand signs of various mental health challenges
  *   Interact effectively and with empathy with individuals who may have a mental health challenge
  *   Identify the barriers to treatment faced by many Americans with mental health challenges
  *   List ways library staff can be informed, proactive, compassionate and kind in serving the needs of those with mental health challenges
  *   De-escalate potentially stressful situations
  *   Identify the role of library behavior policies and guidelines in handling challenges

Fee: Free (funded as part of the California State Library's Mental Health Initiative<http://www.library.ca.gov/services/to-libraries/mental-health-initiative/>)

Access the self-paced course at: https://my.nicheacademy.com/infopeople/course/7755.

Previously announced tutorials (all free) include:

Poems, Songs and Quotations<https://my.nicheacademy.com/infopeople/course/3019>
Working in a library sometimes involves answering the questions: "Who said it and when?" "Who wrote it and when?" or possibly, "Could you help me find a poem or a quote that expresses my joy/sadness/love on the occasion of a retirement/wedding/funeral?" Although every good search begins with a good reference interview, there are particular things that are helpful to find out, or be aware of, when looking for a poem, song, or quotation. In the latest free module from the Infopeople Academy - Poems, Songs and Quotations<https://my.nicheacademy.com/infopeople/course/3019> -  you'll get tips along with resources to help answer these challenging and elusive types of reference questions.

Are you a supervisor with responsibility to develop your staff? The most recent free tutorial from the Infopeople Academy - Making Employee Training Stick<https://my.nicheacademy.com/infopeople/course/3372> - will introduce you to "transfer of training" and help you understand the various tools and strategies available to support your staff in using more of their learning on the job. You'll also learn about the critical differences that supervisors make in the success and/or failure of employee training in any organization.  After completing this module you will be able to describe the role supervisor's play in helping staff transfer learning from training to the job, identify practical tools and strategies that you can start using immediately, and how to overcome possible barriers to using transfer of training.

Library users want to be able to make informed decisions on purchases. They often ask for objective evaluations of products and ratings of specific features such as safety, reliability, or efficiency. In Consumer Information<https://my.nicheacademy.com/infopeople/course/2955>, a free module from the Infopeople Niche Academy - you'll not only get tips in handling requests for general consumer information, but also information on other areas people often need to research: vehicles, antiques, collectibles, and art.

Here come the kids! Are you ready for the afterschool homework help rush? Explore best reference staff practices, great reference resources for homework assistance, and suggested methods for responding to students with homework needs and concerns in the latest self-paced tutorial: Homework Help<https://my.nicheacademy.com/infopeople/course/3158>.

Government and Law<https://my.nicheacademy.com/infopeople/course/2952>. This free tutorial is for non-law library staff who work with patrons who have legal and government questions. You will learn basic information about the structure and sources of law, what types of legal questions you may be asked, and what you can do to answer them.

Genealogy<https://my.nicheacademy.com/infopeople/course/3151> is the second most popular hobby in the U.S. In this webinar you will learn ideas for working with genealogists, even if you don't have a dedicated genealogy/local history collection at your library. This online tutorial will give you low and no-cost ideas for reference and programming that can be implemented quickly. A companion archived webinar<http://www.nicheacademy.com/serve-genealogists-now> is available as well.

Cheers!

Darci Hanning, MLIS
Technology Development Consultant
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>