[Libs-Or] A special Civics offer to one special library...

D Cohen dcohen at hevanet.com
Mon Aug 26 21:24:28 PDT 2019

Hello all, I am making a special offer to one special library – will the library be yours?

All four workshops I conduct contain key content to insure our democracy functions. But, one – The Influence of the Constitution on Political Conversation – does not have the same “cache” as the others. Yet, the Constitution underpins our democracy.

Plus, hey, we all know and understand it just fine, yes? At least, that’s what many will say.

But, that’s not true. Gaps in understanding and myths abound. Did you know that the Bill of Rights was written ONLY for federal laws – states could enact any law they wanted – including discriminatory laws and ones restricting personal liberty – and those laws could not be adjudicated in federal court.

Only until the second half of the 20th Century did the Bill of Rights become “incorporated” to apply to the states – and only then, Amendment by Amendment, with even now, not all Amendments yet “incorporated”. [Check out: Rights in the Modern Era: Applying the Bill of Rights to the States  https://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer= <https://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1554&context=wmborj> &httpsredir=1&article=1554&context=wmborj ]

Learn more about this, about the issues surrounding the writing of the Constitution and how its interpretation by the Supreme Court has changed over the course of our history – and continues to change! The Constitution is alive – let’s discuss in this non-partisan workshop!

Because the value of this workshop has not yet been fully comprehended, I will offer this workshop free to one library in the coming months. Tell me why you would like this workshop at your library. Here are the parameters:

*	Write a paragraph as to why your library would like to hold this non-partisan workshop.
*	Then, tell me how you will advertise the workshop. I would like to have a minimum of 20 participants (max. of 40) - not counting staff [ideas: invite senior groups, ask your high school Social Studies teacher to give extra credit for students who attend, contact local groups, e.g. League of Women Voters].
*	Library must be willing to provide brief written feedback that I can use in marketing materials
*	Library must be located within 25 miles of Portland, or, if 25-75 miles away, be willing to pay mileage [federal rate]. [Sorry, distant libraries, would love to come, but can’t for free…. ☹ - *but see below! ]

Workshop will be held during the 2019-2020 academic year. Requests are due September 30th.

*If “distant” libraries [e.g. central, eastern, northeastern, southern, or south coast – public, community college and/or school] want to work together to bring me to your location [including costs for transportation, lodging and meals] for at least three paid workshops, I will offer one Constitution workshop for free [although it may require an additional night of lodging].

Have a nice Labor Day!

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcohen at hevanet.com <mailto:dcohen at hevanet.com>

Civics for Adults – and Others – Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire Political Engagement

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

“My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not right, not just – stand up, say something, speak up!” Rep. John Lewis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY