[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults - and Others! Update

dcohen at hevanet.com dcohen at hevanet.com
Tue Dec 31 11:21:39 PST 2019

Civics for Adults Update New Year, 2020!             Website:
<https://www.civicthinker.info/> https://www.civicthinker.info/

Upcoming Workshops [Facebook posts on items of interest are after this]

Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda

We are overwhelmed with information. Learn to distinguish truth from fiction
using critical thinking strategies with political ads, news headlines,
graphs / charts, language choice in messaging, statistical data and other
types of information. Become your own "factchecker"!

 "Loved it."

"Would be nice if it was a series over a few nights"

"...well-rounded, wide array of examples. Thank you so much! This was fun
and informative!"

Weds Feb 19   6:30-8:00   Bethany Library Annex  4888 NW Bethany Blvd, PDX

Sun April 5   1:00-2:30    Hillsboro Public Library- Shute Park 775 SE 10th
Ave

Elections and Campaign Finance

This is a unique workshop covering numerous topics related to our electoral
systems and presenting specific ideas for bi-partisan civic/political
engagement, some active right now! Topics: Voting as Constitutional
right(?), Voter Rights, Voter Fraud, Voter Registration, Voter Turnout,
Alternative Methods of Determining Winners, Redistricting, Electoral
College, Campaign Financing, SuperPACS and 501(c)4s, Contribution Limits,
Dark Money, Campaign Finance Databases, Public Financing of Elections

". this was an excellent presentation."

"I consider myself a well-informed citizen but I learned a great deal of new
information."

"You are a great teacher, Donna."

"Very good, solid information - This is what all Americans need to know."

"Thanks for another informative workshop."

Sat April 18   2:00-3:30   Bethany Library Annex  4888 NW Bethany Blvd, PDX

Sun April 26   1:00-2:30   Hillsboro Public Library- Shute Park   775 SE
10th Ave

The Power of the Constitution on Political Conversation

By looking back at the creation of the Constitution and tracing major
changes to its interpretation we puncture some myths and develop a broader
perspective that helps us evaluate current politics more thoughtfully.

"Amazing what was done [the creation of the Constitution] and what issues
still remain."

"Every citizen should take this serious look at our Constitution."

"Good level of history and contemporary political ideas, their evolution and
relevance to today."

Thurs April 2, 2020   6:00-7:30    Sherwood Pub. Lib. 22560 SW Pine St,
Sherwood, OR

Sun May 17   1:00-2:30   Hillsboro Public Library- Brookwood   2850 NE
Brookwood Pkwy

Citizen Activism 101 - Making Change Happen

Improve life for yourself and your neighbors. Learn about types of advocacy
and strategies for change. Brief historical perspective; Examples of
successful advocacy-local-national; Choosing your battles; Who makes the
rules?; Getting heard; tools for change; "Tracking" state and federal
legislation.

"Excellent. Thanks!"

"I loved that you customized your presentation to our area".

"Really liked your explanation of state government, especially the example
of an individual's testimony.removed the anxiety of presenting testimony
that most of us feel so intimidated [by]"

Sun June 7   1:00-2:30    Hillsboro Public Library-Brookwood  2850 NE
Brookwood Pkwy

Facebook posts

An opportunity to serve: Join Metro's Public Engagement Review Committee

<https://www.portlandoregon.gov/civic/?c=60027&a=749957&fbclid=IwAR0GecRamM4
e8vI3pWJcMGx7cAwxqCYojBHILnGNvFU7nHJ-oD9QPbfZq_g>
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/civic/?c=60027&a=749957&fbclid=IwAR0GecRamM4e
8vI3pWJcMGx7cAwxqCYojBHILnGNvFU7nHJ-oD9QPbfZq_g

Very interesting video report on a voting machine manufacturer and security
issues. You may not know but election security has been a focus for Oregon's
Senator Ron Wyden for quite some time.

<https://www.today.com/video/meet-the-company-that-makes-voting-machines-use
d-across-us-75339845780?fbclid=IwAR3_Y_i29T-YTC5acKoRoZmjMdoPGQeWkJsD6s-kJoh
ttzsRKBUqN-T4mDY>
https://www.today.com/video/meet-the-company-that-makes-voting-machines-used
-across-us-75339845780?fbclid=IwAR3_Y_i29T-YTC5acKoRoZmjMdoPGQeWkJsD6s-kJoht
tzsRKBUqN-T4mDY

We really need to do better in regard to election laws and our federal
election agencies.

Election Oversight Agencies Struggle With Vacancies and Infighting

<https://www.govexec.com/oversight/2019/11/election-oversight-agencies-strug
gle-vacancies-and-infighting/161068/>
https://www.govexec.com/oversight/2019/11/election-oversight-agencies-strugg
le-vacancies-and-infighting/161068/

Better than nothing but too little, too late. "The way Congress has been
addressing election security is the Band-Aid approach; whenever they get
sufficient pressure they spit out some money," said Lawrence Norden,
director of the Electoral Reform Program at the Brennan Center. "But it's
not the way to be approaching election security." More election security
funds headed to states as 2020 looms

<https://apnews.com/8a00173242774e226a5ea924a9c9d127?fbclid=IwAR3GzCA7xH4Spt
EUsYxRMGtprOwoWvjZxKktTzN-aX7G_DXd_E3uroS4oGw>
https://apnews.com/8a00173242774e226a5ea924a9c9d127?fbclid=IwAR3GzCA7xH4SptE
UsYxRMGtprOwoWvjZxKktTzN-aX7G_DXd_E3uroS4oGw

A Graphic Guide to the 2020 Census

<https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/2020-census-graphic-expl
ainer-comics-journalism-guide/?utm_source=Journalist%27s+Resource&utm_medium
=email&utm_campaign=ee4eadb348-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_01_28_02_40_COPY_01&utm_t
erm=0_12d86b1d6a-ee4eadb348-80393525&fbclid=IwAR02851gP0glTszpHgEOFaYF0C-236
_Zt5-yGut5dNNFr4J1XU3xkOrtnOg>
https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/2020-census-graphic-expla
iner-comics-journalism-guide/?utm_source=Journalist%27s+Resource&utm_medium=
email&utm_campaign=ee4eadb348-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_01_28_02_40_COPY_01&utm_te
rm=0_12d86b1d6a-ee4eadb348-80393525&fbclid=IwAR02851gP0glTszpHgEOFaYF0C-236_
Zt5-yGut5dNNFr4J1XU3xkOrtnOg

Why the 2020 Census Matters for Public Health

<https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/health-care/census-2020-
public-health-care-explainer/?utm_source=Journalist's%20Resource&utm_medium=
email&utm_campaign=07fbf9413e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_01_28_02_40_COPY_01&utm_te
rm=0_12d86b1d6a-07fbf9413e-&fbclid=IwAR1mAJqrQRWXppbRF7AzOUZdESm2qCMEP950sug
GkjVTPFPad-ysQwgwGYg>
https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/health-care/census-2020-p
ublic-health-care-explainer/?utm_source=Journalist's%20Resource&utm_medium=e
mail&utm_campaign=07fbf9413e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_01_28_02_40_COPY_01&utm_ter
m=0_12d86b1d6a-07fbf9413e-&fbclid=IwAR1mAJqrQRWXppbRF7AzOUZdESm2qCMEP950sugG
kjVTPFPad-ysQwgwGYg

2020 Census: Fact Vs Fiction

<https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2019/11/2020-census-fact-v-fiction?fbclid
=IwAR349fL9hPjwlB-Sd19yVMkgLizSdJVUKFVUBKOOyzkFRYGwS5433lx618Q>
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2019/11/2020-census-fact-v-fiction?fbclid=
IwAR349fL9hPjwlB-Sd19yVMkgLizSdJVUKFVUBKOOyzkFRYGwS5433lx618Q

"Documentary describing democracy reform's sweep coming to PBS. A sweeping
survey of the political reform movement is coming to televisions across the
country next month, when PBS stations in more than 100 cities begin airing
"The Democracy Rebellion." Debuts Jan. 6, features footage from successful
and ongoing campaigns to fix the governance system in almost a dozen states:
Florida, California, Connecticut, North Carolina, South Dakota, Ohio,
Michigan, Colorado, Missouri, Utah and Washington.citizen activists pressing
for gerrymander reform, voting rights for former felons, exposing dark
money, and winning surprising victories to make our elections fairer, more
transparent and more inclusive."

https://www.pbs.org/show/democracy-rebellion/

The House Judiciary Committee Impeachment Report

<https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/CRPT-116hrpt3
46.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2uns-33Elo_BCiG7DuVLYq5ER1XWViSWKvgI1Co6RDdUj3uWUDvoIcb70>
https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/CRPT-116hrpt34
6.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2uns-33Elo_BCiG7DuVLYq5ER1XWViSWKvgI1Co6RDdUj3uWUDvoIcb70

Here is an interesting idea. This bill would allow campaign funds to be used
for candidate's childcare expenses while running for office.

<https://govtrackinsider.com/help-america-run-act-hara-would-permit-candidat
es-campaign-funds-to-pay-for-childcare-dd5edb97e202>
https://govtrackinsider.com/help-america-run-act-hara-would-permit-candidate
s-campaign-funds-to-pay-for-childcare-dd5edb97e202

Senator Jeff Merkley's report on asylum seekers

<https://www.merkley.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/SHATTERED%20REFUGE%20-%20A%20U
S%20Senate%20Investigation%20into%20the%20Trump%20Administration%20Gutting%2
0of%20Asylum.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2pCYWUBMLkJnCwqxbLQKkSaKANRuEc8hfQe9s3ee1zCpCde_
m9-0DgC4Y>
https://www.merkley.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/SHATTERED%20REFUGE%20-%20A%20US
%20Senate%20Investigation%20into%20the%20Trump%20Administration%20Gutting%20
of%20Asylum.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2pCYWUBMLkJnCwqxbLQKkSaKANRuEc8hfQe9s3ee1zCpCde_m
9-0DgC4Y

Don't forget. All my Resource Lists are available for download.
<https://www.civicthinker.info/resources>
https://www.civicthinker.info/resources

Workshop Schedule is also on the website.
<https://www.civicthinker.info/schedule>
https://www.civicthinker.info/schedule

Talk to your local library, civic group or school about hosting Civics for
Adults [and Others]!

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcohen at hevanet.com <mailto:dcohen at hevanet.com>

Civics for Adults - and Others - Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and
Inspire Political Engagement

Webpage www.civicthinker.info <http://www.civicthinker.info>

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

"My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not
right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!" Rep. John Lewis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY