[Libs-Or] LTLO February 2019

The State Library of Oregon jacqui.krawetz at state.or.us
Mon Feb 4 09:29:44 PST 2019

View this email in your browser (https://mailchi.mp/211f2b3e5bfa/ltlo-february-2019?e=d80f7e9202)
Letters to Libraries Online: News from the State Library of Oregon
Volume 29, Issue 2 - February 2019

** State Library News

** New exhibit on view at State Library
A new exhibit, Hops and Flax: Pride of the Willamette Valley, is now on display on the second floor across from the State Librarian's office.

The exhibit looks at the importance of these two specialty crops to Oregon's economy past and present. Items from our collection include photos taken during the 1930s by noted photographer, Dorothea Lange, and many others from the Trover Studio Collection that documents life in the Willamette Valley from the late 1800s through the mid-1900s.

In addition to the photos, there are several books and pamphlets about the two commercial crops, as well as early Pacific Northwest hop farmer Ezra Meeker’s influential growing and harvesting guide, Hop Culture in the United States.

** State Library of Oregon to host visitors from Uzbekistan
The State Library of Oregon will be hosting a group of visitors on Tuesday, Feb. 5 from Uzbekistan who want to learn more about library management. The group has an interest in programs designed for those with disabilities, particularly the Talking Book and Braille Library services for people with visual impairments, or physical or reading disabilities.

The visitors, recognized as leaders or emerging leaders in their field in their home country were invited by the U.S. Department of State, through the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP), to spend three weeks connecting with their professional counterparts across the country.

As stated in their fact sheet, “the goal of the IVLP is to provide firsthand knowledge about U.S. society, culture, and politics, while cultivating lasting relationships. By connecting current and emerging foreign leaders with their American counterparts, IVLP fosters lasting relationships and helps strengthen U.S. engagement with countries around the world.”

Link to participant biographies (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=4015972c84&e=d80f7e9202)

Link to IVLP factsheet (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=04ddf7972a&e=d80f7e9202)

** Government Information and
Library Services

** State employees share their favorite State Library resources
The Government Services Division sent out a request to our state employee patrons a few months ago. We wanted to learn what resources our patrons find most useful and how these resources are helping them in their work. We are really encouraged to hear what is working well for these folks! Here are some of the responses we received:

* “I love the Birds of North America subscription and all the biological resources offered by the State Library.” - Paul, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
* “I love the eClips/news notices every day. It helps to keep me up to speed on what is happening across the state and with changes or issues happening in other state agencies. I also love the access to Safari.” - Casandra, Oregon Department of Transportation
* “I use the Voters' Pamphlet digital collection frequently. We also have it linked from one of our webpages so I know the public uses it too. I enjoy the video section of the Digital Collection too.” - Emma, Secretary of State
* “Over the course of my 10-plus years at ODE, I have produced a number of publications that depended on resources from the State Library. Two books, each in excess of 100 pages, used nearly 500 references (mostly journal articles but some books) and cited nearly 250 of those. I have also produced several annotated bibliographies on a range of topics. None of this work would have been possible without access to the quality library services provided by the Oregon State Library.” - Jan, Oregon Department of Education
* “The state library's interlibrary loan program helped me complete a literature review and annotated bibliography for a client on a tight deadline. Without this service, I would not have been able to meet the client's needs or abide by the due date. Very thankful for this service!” - Margaret, Oregon Health Authority

** Library Support and Development Services

**
You probably already know about the Tech-Talk e-newsletter but did you know about the Tech-Talk database that is filled with articles and videos with fresh ways to use technology at work and communicate with others?  The database is searchable by topic, keywords, and categories! Articles are written for non-techies, giving you a new perspective on the subject, fresh ideas for using the feature, and an accurate and complete “how to” section. You can access the database by logging on (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=a1463933a0&e=d80f7e9202) at the website (username: ORLIBTECH, password: ORLIBTECH) or by receiving notifications through the brand new mobile app. Just go to your favorite app store and search on “tech-talk”, install the app, and then use the same username/password (ORLIBTECH). Tech tips at your fingertips!

Questions? Feedback? Please contact Darci Hanning (mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.su?subject=Question%20about%20Tech-Talk) (503-378-2527) from Library Support and Development.

** Talking Book and Braille Library
>From left: Steve Goettsch, John Pai, Joel Henderson, Alycia Ensminger, and Bonnie Brown

** Neighbor-state cooperation at the Washington Talking Book
& Braille Library
(Reprinted from the Washington Secretary of State's blog From our Corner)

December 27, 2018 (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=cef468073b&e=d80f7e9202) Secretary of State's Office (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=22f03235ce&e=d80f7e9202)

Recently, Joel Henderson of the Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=4b3728661e&e=d80f7e9202) visited the Washington Talking Book & Braille Library (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=bfc7acbace&e=d80f7e9202) (WTBBL) in Seattle to learn more about the audiobook production program.

Both libraries are regional libraries of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=462562cb13&e=d80f7e9202) (NLS) of the Library of Congress. WTBBL is a program of the Washington State Library (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=bf8e4ad922&e=d80f7e9202) , which is a division of the Office of Secretary of State.

Joel met with each audiobook recording staff member to better understand the production process, including recording, editing, post-production, and digital cartridge duplication and labeling.

This information will advise the setup for a new production studio in the Oregon State Library building. Joel also met with other staff to discuss volunteer management, patron relations, and circulation of materials.

“Only three percent of print material is available to those who have a visual impairment or are blind,” WTBBL Audio Book Supervisor John Pai said. “This collaboration with Oregon is the kind of work that will improve services across the board for both libraries.”

WTBBL staff and volunteers produce more than 200 talking books annually which are accessible to Washington State residents who qualify for service, as well as patrons of other NLS network libraries around the country.

WTBBL provides services at the library and by mail or download to any Washington resident unable to read standard print material due to blindness, visual impairment, deaf-blindness, physical disability (cannot hold a book or turn pages), or reading disability.

For more information, contact WTBBL at 800-542-0866 or visit www.wtbbl.org.

** Contacts
Library Support and Development Services:
Ferol Weyand, Darci Hanning, Jennifer Maurer, Ross Fuqua, Tamara Ottum, Arlene Weible, Susan Westin, Greta Bergquist

Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library Manager:
Susan Westin, 503-378-5435

Government Information and Library Services Manager:
Caren Agata, 503-378-5030

Interim State Librarian:
Caren Agata, 503-378-5030

Letter to Libraries Online Editor:
Jacqui Krawetz: 503-378-4244

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the State Library of Oregon.

Mission
The State Library provides leadership and resources to continue growing vibrant library services for Oregonians with print disabilities, the Legislature and state government, and all Oregonians through local libraries.

Our mailing address is:
State Library of Oregon, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
Copyright ©2019, All rights reserved.

This email was sent to libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us (mailto:libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us)
why did I get this? (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/about?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=2d606569a5&e=d80f7e9202&c=9de646a638)     unsubscribe from this list (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=2d606569a5&e=d80f7e9202&c=9de646a638)     update subscription preferences (https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=2d606569a5&e=d80f7e9202)
State Library of Oregon . 250 Winter St NE . Salem, OR 97301-3929 . USA