[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: Excel & G-Sheets - Freeze Panes to View Your Data

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Wed Feb 6 13:19:40 PST 2019

Greetings and welcome to this week’s issue of Tech-Talk!

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2018 Shared Results International

 This Week's Topic: EXCEL & Google Sheets
1. VIDEO ... Freeze Panes to More Easily View Your Data
2. ARTICLE ... Freeze Panes to More Easily View Your Data
3. COMMUNICATING ... "If you did know..."

[Freeze Panes]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ZeU8MUfwlZZ1vxbYVkg0N3jb4Femiwpyppdzn2I_TeR3wtAZT47DMdlZPufL2JIBiQdYteYRtLpvWp_N5C6YnCW0L-NbrHaJCe8huRp0ihOVVidPOw11bXbBh3rJNyxuJfmIXVMB1xZV6RRPAxcvIsr85oYwFJwacwX75KZy2kqQkdAqFFZNKw==&c=2RGz2gXGclgSEuZ7uKf39JuN2MbhnwTDIcBWNHUvvmXV5N8pVNDUug==&ch=mqVP-Z-jCXrWxRpSUiXm0PiwNZjtptzeRRHhgKbkIjmlDRjRfENgsg==>

Photo by Nathan Fertig<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ZeU8MUfwlZZ1vxbYVkg0N3jb4Femiwpyppdzn2I_TeR3wtAZT47DMdlZPufL2JIB_BLbFLr_3y1z0KxMKpsf2qbHT-AmpNnEyU-sK3AhYsB7LZlpcUjKmpuuIv_ylPcZaObX1TEo-F3EsFfgWOjLblMwH488rnrGhgBUaaoBrjz_07Zbk7VIHemVwooaASz8599Aa92DtkUoBTVvwC4bbXY2EGOZMdm-0ElqPMuE1GCAcOdvokKB26ugoaEigoIKyoFW1c5bQSTu1mXt0WhNUA==&c=2RGz2gXGclgSEuZ7uKf39JuN2MbhnwTDIcBWNHUvvmXV5N8pVNDUug==&ch=mqVP-Z-jCXrWxRpSUiXm0PiwNZjtptzeRRHhgKbkIjmlDRjRfENgsg==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ZeU8MUfwlZZ1vxbYVkg0N3jb4Femiwpyppdzn2I_TeR3wtAZT47DMdlZPufL2JIBw82uosj-4KO_z8zpAtD20Eypr8D3MZovk5x7b9xy9Si_6VehLZJ4I5fRu2iM9P2hh4e-fw2GHUSoTifsfGtc5-v0X80jiFXTd90yspTCwMakEwl4h_eveGk_XdLS_UcyroGyN9g6ek7AXJdg2ehVh4CU0LsdODVyPRAyz8TxLRRhiUU8zRee94UqXRzSCOBkfTRJvWpMhHi2AkLqTds9OA==&c=2RGz2gXGclgSEuZ7uKf39JuN2MbhnwTDIcBWNHUvvmXV5N8pVNDUug==&ch=mqVP-Z-jCXrWxRpSUiXm0PiwNZjtptzeRRHhgKbkIjmlDRjRfENgsg==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Archives<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ZeU8MUfwlZZ1vxbYVkg0N3jb4Femiwpyppdzn2I_TeR3wtAZT47DMeOZS8964LnwYHbYFqiV4u9jWBqSJ8-kcONd_Utii2NnCMeexdJAbGN2P0erlKj9jCzgHHcrE4T0EmdlXWyBwEO6bIfXxBUUFc8GyYvWANrb&c=2RGz2gXGclgSEuZ7uKf39JuN2MbhnwTDIcBWNHUvvmXV5N8pVNDUug==&ch=mqVP-Z-jCXrWxRpSUiXm0PiwNZjtptzeRRHhgKbkIjmlDRjRfENgsg==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

EXCEL and G-Sheets - Freeze Panes to View Your Data
Intermediate

[No header row]

I was reviewing a report in Excel for a colleague that had many lines of data. As I moved down the page, I lost the header row and had to scroll all the way back to the top just to see the names of each column.

"Well, this is silly," I thought. "I'll just use the Freeze Panes feature to lock the top row so when I scroll, it will always stay in view."

So I finished my work in the document, saved it and emailed it back to my colleague. Five minutes later I got a phone call with the question, "How did you do that? It makes looking at the data so much easier!" Apparently, my colleague didn't know the Freeze Panes feature existed and was more than delighted to learn about this extremely helpful option when working in long Excel files -- or Google Sheets.

What Does it Mean to Freeze Panes?

We've all worked in documents where, when you scroll down, you lose visibility to the header row. Or maybe your spreadsheet has a lot of columns and you lost sight of the row titles when looking at the data ... several columns to the right.

Freezing Panes means that you can lock in those columns (or rows) and view them regardless of where you are in the spreadsheet. You can do this in both Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets files.

[freeze panes]

A pane can be either a row or a column of your spreadsheet. When you freeze a pane, that row or column (or both) will stay put, even as you move through the document. You continue to see it no matter how far down or out you scroll.

[freeze panes]

Freeze Panes in Excel

You can Freeze Panes in an Excel spreadsheet three different ways:

1.  Freeze both Columns and Rows
2.  Freeze just the top Row
3.  Freeze the first Column

To Freeze BOTH the Column AND Row Descriptions:

·     Click in the cell beyond those that you want to freeze. Typically this is cell B2 if you have a one row header and one column description.

·     Go to the View tab, in the Window section, find Freeze Panes and choose the first option in the drop-down window: Freeze Panes.

[freeze rows]

Now when you scroll down, the top row will be visible, and when you scroll to the right in the spreadsheet, the first column will always be showing.

TIP: You don't have to just freeze the top row and first column. You can freeze as many rows or columns as needed. Just put your cursor in the cell below the row(s) you want to freeze and to the right of any column(s) you want to freeze. So if I wanted to freeze 2 rows and 2 columns, I would put my cursor in cell C3 and select the Freeze Panes option as above.

[freeze top row]

Freeze Only the Top Row Descriptions:

·     It doesn't matter where your cursor is in the spreadsheet.

·     Go to the View tab, in the Window section and choose the second option under Freeze Panes: Freeze Top Row.

[freeze first column]

Freeze Only the First Column Descriptions:

·     Again, it doesn't matter where your cursor is in the spreadsheet.

·     Go to the View tab, in the Window section and choose the third option under Freeze Panes: Freeze First Column.

Now when you scroll down, the data will magically flow underneath the header row. And/or when moving your spreadsheet over to the right, your row descriptions will always be visible.

NOTE: To undo any of the frozen rows or columns, go to View, and under Freeze Panes, there will be an Unfreeze Panes selection.

Printing Your Spreadsheet

Freeze Panes is for viewing only. If you are printing the spreadsheet and want the header or row titles to be visible on each printed page:

[print titles]

·     In your spreadsheet, go to the Page Layout tab, and in the Page Setup group, click the Print Titles icon.

·     Go to the Sheet tab, and in the "Rows to repeat at top" field, click the icon to the right of the empty box.

·     Click in your document to select the row you want to appear at the top of every page. The code for that row will appear in the box. Then press the Enter key to return to the Page Setup Box.

·     Repeat the process for any "Columns to repeat at the left" in your printed document.

·     Before leaving this command box, to make sure your selection is set up correctly for printing, click the Print preview button. You can scroll to see what your printed document will look like.

Freeze Cells in Google Sheets

Freezing Rows and Columns in Sheets is pretty similar to Excel. However, the options in the Freeze drop-down window are laid out in a slightly different way.

[Google freeze panes]

You can Freeze:

·     1 Row
·     2 Rows
·     Up to current Row
·     1 Column
·     2 Columns
·     Up to current Column

When viewing your Google Sheet, to Freeze Rows or Columns, go to the View menu item and select Freeze. TIP: It doesn't matter where your cursor is in the document.

·     Choose to freeze 1 or 2 Rows.
·     Or choose to freeze 1 or 2 Columns.
·     TIP: To freeze both Rows and Columns, perform this function twice.

If you want to freeze more than 2 Rows or Columns:

·     Put your cursor in the cell below the row(s) you want to freeze and to the right of any column(s) you want to freeze. (So if I wanted to freeze the top 3 rows and the first 3 columns, I would put the cursor in cell D4.)

·     From the View menu, select Freeze and then choose Up to current Row, or Up to current Column (or both options, one at a time). It will show you the Row or Column number or letter to the right of that selection.

NOTE: To un-freeze any rows or columns, go to View and select No rows, or No columns. You have to do this for each if you have both rows and columns frozen.

Printing Your Sheet

Unlike Excel, when you have frozen Rows or Columns, they WILL print that way as well. If you don't want the frozen items to print:

·     Go to File, Print.
·     In the right pane, use the drop-down arrow to expand the Headers & footers section.
·     Scroll down to the bottom and un-check the boxes for Repeat frozen rows and/or Repeat frozen columns.

[print titles]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communication: Talking
"If you did know..."

Have you ever had a situation where someone at work (or home) is just not themselves? There's obviously an issue, but they are reluctant to talk about it.

When you ask, "What's bothering you?" you get an "I don't know."

If the situation calls for it, and you believe it's best to explore it further, here's a great phrase that often works. Say...

"If you did know, what would it be?"

Now, they will probably respond with a laugh, a look or a dismissing comment. That's OK. Be gentle and persevere. Go along with the idea that it may seem silly, and ask the question again.

"OK, but it you did know, what would it be?"

You'll be surprised at what you'll discover and how helpful it will be to unearth subconscious thoughts.

By the way, this works for creative situations also! You're in a team brainstorming, and you've come up dry or are stuck. Try...

"If you did have an idea, what would it be?"

It frees up thoughts and cognitive restrictions.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ZeU8MUfwlZZ1vxbYVkg0N3jb4Femiwpyppdzn2I_TeR3wtAZT47DMRKyCXKRsFPA49Bhb7TOIRQ01rGYMv8OppenAVUNCTrZBh_hsw3508tDVRCNYvATnyMuxoK1SH8nNKAcBZVs4SQ2Pn8wTEINp-m9Ym9RtKRL&c=2RGz2gXGclgSEuZ7uKf39JuN2MbhnwTDIcBWNHUvvmXV5N8pVNDUug==&ch=mqVP-Z-jCXrWxRpSUiXm0PiwNZjtptzeRRHhgKbkIjmlDRjRfENgsg==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ZeU8MUfwlZZ1vxbYVkg0N3jb4Femiwpyppdzn2I_TeR3wtAZT47DMeGC3In0Bocm4EgYB3VFmvSzbLUUufJW_VDZ3aCDRnMw6cs_Q-qTV5vS7SK8BHi86g25eIGw6NBbLvHrGssHRsJn1dcGZOopWgMocJ4zWMw86cRhZ9c2FHI=&c=2RGz2gXGclgSEuZ7uKf39JuN2MbhnwTDIcBWNHUvvmXV5N8pVNDUug==&ch=mqVP-Z-jCXrWxRpSUiXm0PiwNZjtptzeRRHhgKbkIjmlDRjRfENgsg==>

Copyright 1996-2019 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement.
For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on Libs-OR? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe to just the Tech-Talk newsletter!

This paid subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]