[Libs-Or] Loitering at public libraries

Marta Murvosh murvosh at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 17 21:56:28 PDT 2019

Kathy,
I'm a teen librarian with Sno-Isle Libraries up in Washington. (I'm an Emporia grad, which is how I joined this listserv.) I'm speaking for myself and drawing on my experiences working with teens.
First, I'm going to ditto what Cindy said about Constitutional right to gather.
I'll add that talking about what is legally permitted in terms of signs doesn't really get to the core of the issue  -- The Friends are struggling with teens on the front steps of the library.
I wasn't really clear from the initial email whether teens on the steps were actually a problem because they were blocking the entrance or impeding ADA access or whether the Friends perceive teens on the steps of the library to be a problem.
Either way, this is an opportunity to engage with the Friends and the teens and possibly the community as a whole.

If it's perception, then its an opportunity to have a conversation about how the library is a safe, welcoming place for all people of all ages and that includes teens and talk about how few options there are in the community for teens to have a safe gathering place without paying money.
I also suggest adding youth representative on the Friends board, perhaps one of the teens who comes and hangs out is super responsible.

If the teens are blocking the entrance or engaging with other patrons in a manner that takes away from the library being a safe welcoming place for all, then have a conversation with the teens about disruptive behavior. Get everyone on the staff in the loop to set boundaries and consequences, such as needing to leave for the day or talking to parents, etc.
These conversations aren't always comfortable. My personal approach with teens tends to treat each day as a new day and they have a mostly clean slate. I figure teens, like some adults at the library, are trying to figure out life and they need some support to figure things out.
I'd like to suggest that you see if it's possible to set a season seating nook on the side of your building. Maybe the Friends would be willing to spring for some folding chairs and tables or maybe a local hardware store would be willing. It would be great if you could get some teen volunteers to bring the chairs into the building in the evening or night. You might even have other patrons use them in the morning to read, especially if you allow people to take newspapers outside. It would be nifty to have some inexpensive games like Ono, Kittens in a Blender, etc. that could be checked out for a couple of hours or even a container garden you could get Friends or teen volunteers to plant.
Ideally, I would form a teen advisory board and work with them in charge of finding ways to meet teens' needs. I've tapped into the FBLA and Key Clubs at our local high schools and I look for teens aged 15-17 (seniors are too busy) who want to volunteer and work with middle schoolers. This way they can help me plan events and help me execute the. The Key Club painted back drops for our Diagon Alley drop-in and Harry Potter escape room events and they helped with a ton of prep for our Dia de los Makers event, which drew 80-plus people.
Best of luck.
Marta
Marta Murvosh, MLS
librarian and freelance writer