[Libs-Or] Loitering at public libraries

Cindy Gibbon cindyg at multcolib.org
Mon Jun 17 17:47:47 PDT 2019

People have a constitutional right to come to public libraries (we're a
limited public forum), so during open hours,  it would be tough to defend
any kind of no-loitering policy.  Ideally, you'd figure out how to engage
these teens in some kind of library programming, volunteer work, something
positive.  That takes resources, of course, so its a longer-term solution.
Maybe your Friends group could figure out how to help support that.  A
community that has no place for its teens after school is a community with
a big problem that needs a community solution.

Is the issue that the teens are blocking access to the building or engaging
in some kind of problematic behavior?  Those issues can be managed with
behavior rules if that is really the problem, but just making and enforcing
new rules will simply set up an adversarial relationship that won't be good
for the library or for these kids. Can you work with them to find a way for
them to hang out at the library without keeping other people from getting
in?

Are some of your Friends members just plain uncomfortable with teens?
Perhaps there's a way to set up options for positive inter-generational
interactions?

Just brainstorming here in hopes of coming up with some ideas that might
help....
*Cindy*

*Cindy Gibbon*
*Director of Policy and Special Projects*
My schedule: Monday through Friday
Multnomah County Library
503.988.5496
multcolib.org