[Libs-Or] FW: LIBROS FOR OREGON ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS – INTERNATIONAL BOOK FAIR, GUADALAJARA

Martín Blasco MartinB at wccls.org
Wed Mar 6 15:13:53 PST 2019

Hi Everyone,

Libros for Oregon began accepting applications to participate in its 2019 cohort, which will purchase materials for member libraries at the Guadalajara Book Fair this November.

BACKGROUND

Libros for Oregon (LfO) is a subcommittee of REFORMA Oregon whose purpose is to support Spanish-language collection development in Oregon public libraries by making the resources of the Guadalajara Book Fair more accessible through cooperative book-buying. Each year LfO will send three representatives on behalf of eight libraries to the Fair. There they will purchase (using members' own selection budgets, and taking into account their selection preferences) books for participants' collections. We work with a vendor who manages our shipping, handling and invoicing (participant libraries are invoiced directly).

Participating libraries are required to plan, execute, and report on three outreach activities designed to connect their communities with their enhanced Spanish-language collections. LfO provides supportive materials for this process.

Since our goal is to provide access to the Fair's resources where it may be lacking, small and rural libraries who serve Latinos and Spanish-speakers are especially encouraged to apply. However, any Oregon public or school library may apply and may be accepted.

RESOURCES
The project maintains a website, https://librosfororegon.wixsite.com/home, that provides LfO-related explanatory and application materials, and also resources more generally related to the Guadalajara Book Fair and Spanish book selection.

Application information, instructions, and form: https://librosfororegon.wixsite.com/home/apply

Participant timeline: attached.

FAQ: Many of your questions may be answered in the project FAQ, which is attached and can also be found at this link: https://bit.ly/2wnEyOO

OLA 2018 presentation on Libros for Oregon: The slides from my recent OLA presentation, "The Guadalajara Book Fair and Your Library: the Launch of Libros for Oregon" are available at NW Central: https://bit.ly/2HZWXXv

Guadalajara Book Fair's own website: https://www.fil.com.mx/ingles/i_info/i_info_fil.asp

Following are the contact people at the libraries who participated, and I'm sure they'll be happy to answer any questions you have about what the experience was like for them:

2018 LfO cohort (first year under new REFORMA committee)

Driftwood - Star Khan & Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney
Josephine - Michele Kinnamon
Newberg – Korie Buerkle
Salem – Emily Byers
Tillamook – Kelsey Sutton Martinez
Estacada – Alice Perez Ververa

If you are interested in applying, please read through the explanatory materials, and if you still have questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
To submit: please send your completed application as an attachment to me (contact info below).
Again, the deadline to submit applications is April 30, 2019.
Cordially,

Martín Blasco
Outreach Librarian
Washington County Cooperative Library Services | 503-846-3210
martinb at wccls.org<mailto:martinb at wccls.org> | facebook.com/bibliotecaswccls<http://www.facebook.org/bibliotecaswccls>
Pronouns: He/Him/His

“Para no ser mudos, hay que empezar por no ser sordos”.
“In order not to be dumb, you have to start by not being deaf.”
Eduardo Galeano