[Libs-Or] New Titles on Teaching from the State Library (Available for ILL)

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Wed May 22 11:45:23 PDT 2019

Greetings!

These new books are available for interlibrary loan from the State Library of Oregon. It is part of the Library and Information Science Collection<https://www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Pages/LIS-Collection.aspx>, which is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act.

[https://rowman.com/L/14/422/9781442264106.jpg]       [https://rowman.com/L/15/381/9781538116975.jpg]

New Methods of Teaching and Learning in Libraries<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1517558/ada?qu=New+Methods+of+Teaching+and+Learning+in+Libraries> by Ann Whitney Gleason. Rowman & Littlefield, 2017. 978-1-4422-6411-3.

>From the publisher: Emerging models of library instruction and library support of instruction will be presented. Increasingly, librarians are called upon to partner with educational faculty and community members to deliver content and support innovative educational initiatives. Since libraries reach across academic disciplines and provide resources for the greater community, they are uniquely positioned to provide services and technologies that are available to many, bringing innovation out of silos and facilitating innovation in the community.

Chapters covered include:

*         Active Learning in Collaborative Spaces

*         Creating Library Spaces that Foster Creation

*         Teaching Beyond the Library Walls

*         Teaching Skills for Career Success

*         Multimedia in Library Education

*         The Future of Mobile Libraries

*         Teaching and Learning in the Library of the Future

Innovative programs will be highlighted and practical examples will be provided

Teaching First-Year College Students: A Practical Guide for Librarians<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1517149/one?qu=Teaching+First-Year+College+Students%3A+A+Practical+Guide+for+Librarians> by Maggie Murphy. Rowman & Littlefield, 2019. 978-1-5381-1697-5.

The "first-year experience" is an emerging hot topic in academic libraries, and many librarians who work with first-year students are interested in best practices for engaging and retaining them. Professional discussion and interest groups, conferences, and vendor-sponsored awards for librarians working with first-year students are popping up left and right. A critical aspect of libraries in the first-year experience is effective information literacy instruction for first-year students.

Research shows that, despite growing up in a world rife with technology and information, students entering college rarely bring with them the conceptual understandings and critical habits of thinking needed for finding, evaluating, and ethically using information in both academic and real-world contexts. Faculty in upper-level courses expect students to learn about the research process in their first year of college, and instructors in the first-year curriculum expect librarians to teach this to their students. Despite all this, designing, teaching, and evaluating effective information literacy instruction specifically for first-year students is not necessarily intuitive for instruction librarians. That is why Teaching First-Year College Students: A Practical Guide for Librarians is a comprehensive, how-to guide for both new and experienced librarians interested in planning, teaching, and assessing library instruction for first-year students. The book:

*         Examines the related histories of library instruction and first-year experience initiatives
*         Summarizes and synthesizes empirical research and educational theory about first-year students as learners and novice researchers
*         Establishes best practices for engaging first-year students through active learning and inclusive teaching
*         Features excerpts from interviews with a number of instruction librarians who work with first-year students in a range of positions and instructional contexts
*         Includes examples of activities, lesson plans, and assessment ideas for first-year library instruction for common first-year course scenarios
*         Includes a template to use for library instruction lesson planning

Written by a library instruction coordinator with a graduate degree in First-Year Studies and a first-year instruction librarian, Teaching First-Year College Students: A Practical Guide for Librarians is the first comprehensive, how-to guide for both new and experienced librarians interested in planning, coordinating, teaching, and assessing library instruction for first-year students.

If you would like to request these or other materials<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/> from the State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process (e.g. OCLC or ALA request form). If you do not have access to ILL or are not currently affiliated with a library, please contact me to discuss alternative options for borrowing the material.

We welcome purchase suggestions. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. Contact me with your recommendations!

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]