[Libs-Or] New Titles from the State Library

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Wed May 29 07:45:50 PDT 2019

These new books are available for interlibrary loan from the State Library of Oregon. It is part of the Library and Information Science Collection<https://www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Pages/LIS-Collection.aspx>, which is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act.

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D515F2.B20CF440]        [cid:image007.jpg at 01D515F2.B20CF440]

Library Volunteers: A Practical Guide for Librarians<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1517548/ada?qu=Library+Volunteer+practical+guide> by Allison Renner. Rowman & Littlefield, 2019. 978-1-5381-1691-3.

>From the publisher: Volunteers are one of the most overlooked and underused resources available to nonprofits and other organizations. This guide will help find willing volunteers in the community and utilize their skills in a way that benefits the volunteer as well as the organization. Overseeing volunteers can be a daunting task. On top of all of the other duties library staff are typically responsible for, creating a volunteer program from scratch can seem nearly impossible. The work doesn't stop once the program is created: volunteers have to be trained and retained; job duties have to be written, assessed, and refreshed; the benefits of the program need to be documented and weighed. While "volunteer coordinator" is easily a full-time job, it rarely is in the library or nonprofit world. Anything that can make volunteer management easier on library and nonprofit staff will benefit everyone involved.

Library Volunteers: A Practical Guide for Librarians covers every aspect of volunteer programs, from creating, to recruiting, to retaining and keeping the opportunities fresh and appealing. It has information pertaining to elementary age, teenage, and adult volunteers, including innovative and unique volunteer positions that can be offered to them. The book covers both school and public library settings, but the information provided can be adapted slightly to benefit any organization that has a need for volunteer help. It looks beyond the scope of the library to include information on outreach and partnering with community organizations to provide volunteer opportunities to library patrons and volunteers on a broader scale. It is a complete handbook for library and nonprofit employees to use to solve any volunteer issue they might have.

Library Web Development: Beyond Tips and Tricks<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1520501/one?qu=TITLE%3D%22Library+web+development+%3A+beyond+tips+and+tricks%22&qu=AUTHOR%3DBengtson%2C+Jason%2C> by Jason Bengtson. ALA Editions, 2019. 978-0-8389-1830-2.

>From the publisher: Plenty of resources offer you snippets of code and a variety of tutorials can show you the solutions to web development problems. But it's much more valuable (and a better investment of your time!) to learn some core problem-solving skills. This book shares key rules and strategies that will empower you to become a confident coder and web developer, ready to think through whatever complications present themselves. Bengtson, an expert developer, describes 11 challenges typical of a library setting and ones he has faced himself. He then walks you through his thinking, with explorations of alternate approaches, as he works toward a solution. As you follow along, you'll gain wisdom involving scenarios such as

*         integrating a reader app with Dspace;
*         tips when using a public API;
*         troubleshooting a Google Analytics Event hook in a new application;
*         building a database from a collection of CSV files;
*         collecting information from a university's web pages to display in the library website; and
*         moving mass quantities of information to the next page of your app.

Armed with the conceptual foundation outlined in this book, you'll be ready to meet the web development challenges you face in your library.

If you would like to request these or other materials<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/> from the State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process (e.g. OCLC or ALA request form). If you do not have access to ILL or are not currently affiliated with a library, please contact me to discuss alternative options for borrowing the material.

We welcome purchase suggestions. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. Contact me with your recommendations!

Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]