[Libs-Or] Editorial Response to most recent OLA Quarterly

Candise Branum cbranum at ocom.edu
Tue Nov 5 09:23:58 PST 2019

There is a big difference between showcasing different viewpoints in a
collegial way and what this work actually is, which is a person airing
their discomfort with EDI in a non-constructive way. The author claims that
the authors of *Reading While White* are divisive, and then goes on to make
generalized assumptions about the intent of the authors, which has more to
do with their own feelings about being White than it does with the actual
contents of the blog. They argue that people who are advocating for
diversity in collections don't understand how awards voting works (Dr.
Reese) or that their intent is to make white people feel guilty (*Reading
While White*). Anna is absolutely right -- this is not a difference of
opinion, but a case study of white fragility playing out in a public forum.

I also think it's really dangerous to make the assertion that a white
librarian who has doubts about collecting for diverse audiences is now the
minority. Even though McNeil may be the vocal minority in this particular
forum, that doesn't change the historical or current power structures that
validate viewpoints like the one in this article. I agree that we *should *be
talking about race, but we also need to take accountability for our words;
the impact of racism happens regardless of intent.

*Candise Branum*
Director of Library Services
Oregon College of Oriental Medicine (OCOM)
503-253-3443 x134 <(503)%20253-3443>   |   75 NW Couch Street, Portland, OR
97209
<https://maps.google.com/?q=75+NW+Couch+Street,+Portland,+OR+97209&entry=gmail&source=g>
|   library.ocom.edu

*Pronouns: She, her, hers**Want to donate? Check out our book wishlist
<http://a.co/7TjGlRX>*