[Libs-Or] Editorial Response to OLAQ 25(2)

Meredith Farkas meredith.farkas at pcc.edu
Wed Nov 13 13:15:40 PST 2019

Thank you, Lori; you took the words right out of my mouth. :-)

I also want to add something about intellectual freedom. There are many in
our profession who feel that intellectual freedom is the most important
professional value we hold and that when it comes into conflict with other
library values around diversity, accessibility, and inclusivity,
intellectual freedom should always dominate. This was recently the case
with the Toronto Public Library
<https://krisjoseph.ca/2019/10/23/tpl-mm-part-one/> which allowed a speaker
who does not recognize that transwomen are women and was banned from
Twitter for her anti-trans rhetoric to speak on the topic of "gender
identity and its legislation ramifications on women." While for many of us,
this is an academic discussion, for transpeople, the question is
existential and the speakers' arguments support a denial of their existence
and civil rights. How can we say as librarians that we welcome everyone
into our libraries if we welcome folks who explicitly make people from
marginalized groups feel unwelcome or unsafe? When it's a choice between
harming people from historically marginalized groups and intellectual
freedom dogmatism, an increasing number of library workers are starting to
question the hegemony of intellectual freedom.

While discussions of whether diversity has gone too far similarly are
academic for white people of privilege, they are truly hurtful and harmful
to our colleagues of color and are a barometer for how inclusive our
profession really is. In a profession that is embarrassingly homogenous, we
need to think deeply about how welcome we make library workers from
historically marginalized groups feel through our professional
communication. When Max Maxias, Dr. Debbie Reese, and other library
professionals from underrepresented groups in our profession are saying
that this article is *harmful*, we white library workers would be
irresponsible to dismiss them out-of-hand or say that it doesn't matter
because intellectual freedom matters more.

Meredith Farkas, Faculty Librarian, Library SAC Chair
Pronouns: she/her
*#YESSToAFairContract* <https://pccffap.org/>
Portland Community College Library, Sylvania Campus
971-722-4966
meredith.farkas at pcc.edu
www.pcc.edu/library