[Libs-Or] Editorial Response to OLAQ 25(2)

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 13:54:24 PST 2019

I am so glad that Max posted about this article.  It has led to some very
good discussion on this list and elsewhere.  It is too bad that the
discussion had to be started by a person on color.

It is also too bad that someone complained to the State Library saying that
his post was inappropriate and unprofessional. He has been warned by the
State Library.  I read his post and said to myself that this post is going
to make some very uncomfortable.  Being uncomfortable with a post doesn’t
make it inappropriate or unprofessional.

I have read the libs-or guidelines along side Max’s original post and don’t
believe it went against the guidelines.  It was a valid criticism. As
librarians we should be willing to look deeper into issues that make us
uncomfortable.  I think that in this case the discomfort really points out
the white privilege many of us have.

Again, I’m so very happy that Max was willing to take this on even though
he knew there would be backlash from some.  Thank you State Library for
sponsoring a discussion list that allows us to really discuss these
important issues.

--
*Diedre Conkling*
*diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

“If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude.”―Maya Angelou