[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Debacle: Defending Macias, McNeil and Anderson

Taylor Worley taylorlgkw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 13:51:07 PST 2019

Meredith, your email is incredibly articulate; thank you for adding so much
to this discussion. I wanted to add two, hopefully helpful, things:

First is a continuation of Meredith's last point in her email, that the
impact of our words and actions are what matter over our intention. While
the tool I use to remind myself of this is *incomparable* to
the experiences of BIPOC with racism and white fragility, I think of a
specific time when someone said something which hurt me, and when I brought
it up they apologized profusely saying "Oh! I didn't mean that at all!" It
didn't matter that they were "just kidding" or "didn't mean it that way" -
it still hurt. Our impact matters over our intention, and we have to really
hear our BIPOC friends and colleagues when they say, "This is harmful."

Second is to note that I have learned so much about connecting with kids in
storytime from Heather, and her article doesn't invalidate what I've
learned from her. However, when we - White people - make mistakes as we're
working through our part in systemic racism, we need to be okay with
discussing it, helping each other, and challenging each other. That doesn't
mean we need to be comfortable as we do it, and we need to make sure to
listen to our BIPOC colleagues and friends when they are willing to share
with us. I would refer everyone back to the email Danielle Jones sent very
early on in this conversation to a) do your own work and b) not burden your
BIPOC friends and colleagues who already have to bear the brunt of this
every day. We - White people -  should try to *not *make these mistakes,
but when we do, we need to acknowledge, apologize, and do better. (Thank
you for the letter from the OLA Quarterly team.)

My inbox is always open to anyone who wants to chat.

Sincerely,

*Taylor Worley                                                 *Youth
Services Librarian
Springfield Public Library
225 5th Street
Springfield, OR 97422
541.726.2243 (direct)
taylorlgkw at gmail.com
tworley at springfield-or.gov
*"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and
stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -A. A. Milne*