[Libs-Or] OLA Quarterly Debacle: Defending Macias, McNeil and Anderson

Marci Jenkins Marci.Jenkins at mcminnvilleoregon.gov
Thu Nov 14 15:53:34 PST 2019

Thank you Meredith,

Your input is always so proper and appreciated.

I just want to say that in the name of “freedom of speech” I’ve been told to“ watch my back, because immigration will get me”, after approaching a patron that have his feet placed at the table. In the name of “freedom of speech” one of my best friends and mentor, a beautiful black woman, was called “monkey” while riding her bike near a public park, in the name of freedom of speech I was told, that what I do for the Latino community in my town is mere indulgence to illegal immigrants.

free·dom of speech
noun
noun: freedom of speech; plural noun: freedoms of speech
1.    the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint

Like Meredith said: “She (Heather McNeil) could very easily have put this piece on her blog and made it available to any interested party” I feel that is freedom of speech enough.

Hiding behind freedom of speech to express disdain and hatred (in the scenarios I mentioned above, can be very damaging and dangerous).

Seems to me many people have come together to support Heather McNeil’s freedom of speech, great! But that comes with the price of minimizing our feelings and our continuous fight as people of color. Feels almost like colonialism disregard, once again the world we present to white people is not good enough so they have to alter, the have to change, they have to ignore our traditions, our voice, the way we do things, the way we express ourselves, in order to fit us in to a more “adequate world” where we a calmer, less overly sensitive and less in control.

I don’t think Heather McNeill had the intention to hurt people of color. I truly believe she did not anticipated this whole ordeal. But I also never heard from her… No rectification, no apologies, just silence…. Our discussion/debate (that is going one for weeks) would have a whole new perspective, if her apology was in place.

Just a thought...

Thanks,

Marci Ramiro-Jenkins
Reference Librarian/Latinx Outreach Coordinator
McMinnville Public Library
503-435-5568
[librarybanner]