[Libs-Or] OLA Call for MacMillan Publishers to Reverse Library eBook Embargo

OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Thu Oct 10 09:42:58 PDT 2019

Dear Friends of Oregon Libraries,

You may have heard that Macmillan Publishers announced a more restrictive
library eBook lending model in July, which continues a troubling trend in
the publishing industry.  Coinciding with Digital Inclusion Week, OLA
denounces this new lending model in the statement below and encourages
readers to sign ALA's petition to stop Macmillan's eBook embargo at
ebooksforall.org.

Elaine Hirsch
Oregon Library Association

On November 1, 2019, Macmillan Publishers is scheduled to begin a
controversial new licensing model for libraries. Under this model, a
library may initially purchase only one copy of a new release eBook title,
after which Macmillan imposes an eight week embargo.  During the embargo
the library cannot purchase additional copies of the title.

Millions of people now use digital content as their preferred or only
access to books, music, and movies.  Digital content is portable,
accessible to people with print disabilities, available 24/7, and brokered
by libraries to provide diverse options to our diverse communities.  This
embargo will likely create long lists of holds for newly released titles,
and libraries will not have the opportunity to attempt to meet this demand
until eight weeks have passed.

American Library Association (ALA) President Wanda Brown asserts,
“Macmillan Publishers’ new model for library eBook lending will make it
difficult for libraries to fulfill our central mission: ensuring access to
information for all. Macmillan’s new policy is unacceptable.”

Public Library Association (PLA) President Ramiro Salazar states, “Access
to digital content in libraries is more than a financial issue: it is an
equity issue. We encourage Macmillan Publishers to reverse course before
libraries and the people they serve are harmed.”

The Oregon Library Association joins the ALA and PLA in denouncing this
measure and calling for Macmillan Publishers to cancel the embargo and
restore full access to its complete eBook catalog upon release to the
public.

Furthermore, the Oregon Library Association affirms the principles that:

   -

   All published works must be available for libraries to purchase and lend
   to library users.
   -

   Access to and use of eBooks must equitably balance the rights and
   privileges of readers, authors, and publishers.
   -

   Digital content must be accessible to all people, regardless of physical
   or reading disability.
   -

   Library patrons must be able to access digital content on the device of
   their choosing.
   -

   Reading records must remain private in the digital age.

We encourage all readers to sign the American Library Association petition
to stop Macmillan’s eBook embargo at ebooksforall.org.  Statements of
concern can be sent to Macmillan Publishers CEO John Sargent:

Macmillan Publishers

Attn:  John Sargent, CEO

120 Broadway Street

New York, NY 10271

Email:  press.inquiries at macmillan.com

Twitter:  @MacmillanUSA

Sincerely,

Elaine Hirsch

Oregon Library Association President, 2019-2020

olapresident at olaweb.org