[Libs-Or] ChiltonLibrary Database - Yay or Nay

Jim Jatkevicius jimj at wccls.org
Wed Oct 9 18:39:39 PDT 2019

Hi Matt,

You raise an interesting question (or questions) and I think the answer is somewhat of the "it depends" variety. I'm no gearhead but I've had reasonable success with helping patrons, or trying to educate myself on the occasional decrepit innards of my 1999 Dodge Ram.  I can't say for sure but it seems better than it was several years ago as far as providing robust content for older vehicles. I just did a test of myself as patron in determining how to remove and install a valve cover on my Dodge and the search results were satisfactory, as were the instructions and illustrations describing the process.

I confess to times where I couldn't get Chilton's to yield the desired results for the patron but that could well have been me not thoroughly understanding the vehicle issue as it was being described to me. And, on some occasions, the information may simply not be there. As for printing, sometimes I Chilton's requires you to enlarge separate sections of a page displayed to represent the entire array of information and the attendant images required to understand a procedure, which isn't optimal, but printing the native screen often renders the illustrations, particularly of wiring diagrams, indecipherable.  Even so, I find it reasonably comprehensive and comparable to AllData, the Mitchell's product.

I would enjoy hearing the thoughts of others on this topic.

Jim Jatkevicius, Library Services Supervisor - Reference
Forest Grove City Library
Forest Grove, OR 97116
jimj at wccls.org<mailto:jimj at wccls.org>
503 992-3280