[Libs-Or] Limited Internet access in your area?

Kathy Street kstreet at otld.org
Wed Apr 15 11:43:51 PDT 2020

At OTLD we started circulating T-Moblie hotspots last fall. We began with 15 devices, 5 for each branch, and quickly added 10 more. The devices have a long holds list. Patrons checking out devices include families and individuals. Our communities have several areas with no internet offerings and the existing companies are too expensive for many households. As soon as the schools distributed Chromebooks and online class instructions the calls requesting hotspots began. All devices are currently checked out and due dates extended until the library reopens. One call was from an employee sent home with a laptop to work from home. She has no internet and a contract cell phone that does not act as a hotspot. She was eventually crying saying that her job depended on this. A counselor from Community Counseling Solutions called for a client who is a high school student and needing internet for classes. A Care Team coordinator called for a family needing internet for classes, the family called the school and they referred her to her Care team coordinator. The list continues every day.

Our library has always had the WiFi on in our parking lots 24 hours a day seven days a week for our communities. This has always been an important service we offer. At times we have defended this choice to city managers and police officers.

Kathy Street, MLS

Library Director

Oregon Trail Library District

541-481-3365