[Libs-Or] Reopening best practices: Public copy machines

LUDINGTON Sue R sue.ludington at lanecountyor.gov
Mon Apr 27 11:14:50 PDT 2020

Good morning,
I'm continuing to research this; apologies if I missed the topic being discussed (or maybe it's too trivial for discussion altogether lol).

Before the pandemic changed everything, we were preparing to use the large sum of $ budgeted this FY to revamp our ancient, cash-accepting-only, self-service copier/printer set-up. Among other things, we contemplated adding a credit-card machine reader, but our minimal income from the service would likely be eaten up by those fees so I was down on that idea.

However, now that I'm re-thinking all aspects of our public law library spaces, it seems important to include the copy machine area. Things like, should it be card-accepting only? How does equipment stay sanitary in an occasionally-unstaffed facility? What capabilities should a copier/printer definitely have, in light of increased digital communication? That kind of thing...

If this has crossed anyone else's mind, or if you have resources specific to this issue to pass along, or are just willing to brainstorm with me, please holler!

Thanks,
Sue

Sue Ludington
Law Librarian

Lane County Law Library
125 East 8th Avenue
Eugene, OR 97401

sue.ludington at lanecountyor.gov | 541.682.4337
(*please note this is a new email address*)