[Libs-Or] Join ACRL-Oregon for a free webinar - "Speaking of Quality: A Librarian and Instructor Compare Their Assessment of Students' Sources" on September 10th at 10AM PST

Candise Branum cbranum at ocom.edu
Fri Aug 28 13:24:52 PDT 2020

ACRL-Oregon is hosting a free webinar on Thursday, September 10, 2020,
10am-11am PST, *Speaking of Quality: A Librarian and Instructor Compare
Their Assessment of Students' Sources*. Registration is open to any library
staff-person, but we are limited to 100 attendees in the session, so
register soon!  We also plan to record the webinar and make it available on
our YouTube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdqfWF4niwtaeIAhLwNUHPA>. If you
register, we will email you a link to the recording after the session.

REGISTRATION  <https://forms.gle/zwqHLx1utunWTLFc9>

-----
ACRL-Oregon offers free webinars on topics relevant to academic library
staff. Our upcoming webinar is *Speaking of Quality: A Librarian and
Instructor Compare Their Assessment of Students' Sources*, presented by
Elizabeth (Beth) Pickard, Science & Social Sciences Librarian at Portland
State University on *Thursday, September 10th at 10AM PST*.

*Speaking of Quality: A Librarian and Instructor Compare Their Assessment
of Students' Sources*

Do librarians and instructors guide students to the same kinds of sources
for their course assignments? The assumed answer might be "yes," but a
recent case study showed there is more to it. This presentation will
discuss an ethnographic study that explored and compared how a librarian
and an instructor went about evaluating the quality of bibliographies
students produced for the instructor’s class. The study attempted to
unearth nuances in the respective practical approaches librarian and
instructor took to assess a source’s quality as well as differences in what
librarian and instructor might mean by “quality.” Findings included
differences in the ways librarian and instructor applied indicators of
quality in terms of frequency and weight. Findings also included that
librarian and instructor looked to different aspects of citations to
demonstrate common values, such as thoroughness. Additional findings
included differences in librarian and instructor’s working definitions of
“academic” and in their approaches to consulting the citation versus the
full text of a cited source. The aim of the study was to make such implicit
practices and expectations around “quality” explicit in order to better
align librarians' and instructors' daily practice and in order to make such
expectations more transparent to students.

REGISTER <https://forms.gle/BTMLeWYDQBvFVsHEA>

Questions about our webinars can be directed to ACRL-Oregon President
Rachel Bridgewater at acrlor at olaweb.org.

*Candise Branum*
Director of Library Services
Oregon College of Oriental Medicine (OCOM)
503-253-3443 x134 <(503)%20253-3443>   |   75 NW Couch Street, Portland, OR
97209
<https://maps.google.com/?q=75+NW+Couch+Street,+Portland,+OR+97209&entry=gmail&source=g>
|   library.ocom.edu

*Pronouns: She, her, hers**Want to donate? Check out our book wishlist
<http://a.co/7TjGlRX>*