[Libs-Or] OLAQ Editorial Project Announcement: New guidelines and feedback

OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Sun Dec 20 12:52:25 PST 2020

Greetings OLA Members,

As we wrap up 2020 and look to the New Year, the OLA Board is moving
forward with developing and implementing new editorial guidelines for the
OLA Quarterly journal. We are excited to work directly with the EDI and
Anti-Racism Special Committee to complete guidelines that will inform all
future issues of the publication.

To kick off the project, Jane Scheppke has agreed to be our project
coordinator — than you Jane! Please read her introduction below and look
for emails from Jane soon, as she will be seeking feedback from the OLA
membership through January.

*From Jane Scheppke:*

“Hi everybody --

My name is Jane Scheppke, former Assistant Director of Library Services at
Crook County Library. On behalf of the OLA Board, I have been given the
opportunity to draft new editorial policies and procedures for the Oregon
Library Association Quarterly (OLAQ).

Some background on me: I have co-authored two issues of the Quarterly,
guest-edited one issue, and served as a staff editor for about a year and a
half. During my time working on the OLAQ, I came to appreciate the depth of
talent that exists among OLA’s membership. There are so many excellent
writers out there whose ideas and experiences deserve to be shared with the
Oregon library community and the world.

Right now, the Quarterly is at a crossroads. The OLA Board wants to ensure
that the Quarterly is the best publication it can be in terms of
timeliness, and editorial quality, while also taking a critical look at how
the Quarterly can better reflect the diversity of Oregon libraries, library
workers, and the people they serve. To that end, the OLA Quarterly has been
put on hiatus while we explore avenues for growth and improvement with
regard to editorial standards and practices.

The OLA Board’s goals for this project are twofold: to revise OLA Quarterly
editorial procedures to help establish clear expectations about the roles
of all the people involved in the editorial and publishing process, and to
strengthen editorial policies and guidelines to reflect OLA's values around
equity, diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism (EDI). The latter piece will
involve extensive conversations with OLA membership, OLA’s EDI &
Anti-Racism Special Committee, *Oregon Humanities Magazine *Editor-in-Chief
Ben Waterhouse, and representatives from other library- and
humanities-related publications who have done work to thoroughly
integrate EDI standards into their editorial policies.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be reaching out to past editors, guest
editors, and authors for feedback on their experiences working with
the Quarterly. Critical feedback from individual OLA members is also most
welcome, either via Libs-OR or at OLAQproject at gmail.com. What do you want
to see from the Quarterly going forward? Let me know!”

Happy New Year!

Kate Lasky
--
Oregon Library Association President, 2020-2021
olapresident at olaweb.org