[Libs-Or] A response to critics of my post about "American Dirt"

Meredith Farkas meredith.farkas at pcc.edu
Wed Feb 5 11:13:31 PST 2020

Tony, I completely agree that freedom of expression can be quashed and
people silenced by more than a government body. In fact, that is *exactly*
what has happened (and continues to happen) to authors of color by a racist
publishing industry. It's not just that they are not promoted enough; it's
that they are FAR less likely to ever be published!

Given the depth of your commitment to free expression, I'm sure in your
earlier years in our profession you fought against the silencing of authors
of color by the publishing industry, right Tony? Or did you just assume
that white people are better writers and that's why they were being
published? In a vastly unequal society where the voices of people of color
are given less weight than those of white people, the neutrality that you
practice ensures the continued silencing of people from marginalized groups
by systems of power like publishing. The neutrality that you practice is
the same neutrality that had librarians upholding segregation in the 1950s
and 60s. If that's your vision of upholding freedom of expression, it seems
weak and passive. A *real* commitment to freedom of expression would
involve actively ensuring that marginalized voices are heard and given
equal weight in the "marketplace of ideas." I have not seen you express any
concern for that, even after many people wrote about that very thing. Or
did you not bother to read their posts?

And I'll bet that every library worker who has disagreed with you here
would absolutely defend *American Dirt *in the face of someone trying to
have it banned from their library.

Meredith

Meredith Farkas, Faculty Librarian, Library SAC Chair
Pronouns: she/her
Portland Community College Library, Sylvania Campus
971-722-4966
meredith.farkas at pcc.edu
www.pcc.edu/library