[Libs-Or] Free Webinar: Protest & Disinformation

Every Library everylibrary at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 17:30:20 PDT 2020

PEN America and The EveryLibrary Institute
<https://www.everylibraryinstitute.org/> and The Daily Kos Liberation League
<https://www.dailykos.com/user/Daily%20Kos%20Liberation%20League> invite
you to attend a live and interactive media literacy webinar about protests
and disinformation on Friday, June 12 from 11:30am – 1:00pm Eastern Time.

Register - https://pen.org/event/protest-disinformation/

*This session will be recorded so if you miss the live event, you'll still
be sent a link to the archived recording if you registered.*

Amid mass demonstrations against police violence, misinformation and
disinformation about the protests
<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/technology/george-floyd-misinformation-online.html>
are spreading fast online. False, misleading
<https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/hoax-misleading-claims-george-floyd-protests>,
and misattributed stories and images can polarize communities, unfairly
damage reputations, and obscure the truth. By sharing and amplifying this
content we often further the goals of those who aim to discredit and
divide. We have designed a unique virtual workshop to equip communities
with media literacy tools to spot disinformation surrounding recent
protests — and to apply these skills to help stem the spread of misleading
content. In this session, we’ll focus on how to verify images, videos, and
sources about protests, and what to do after the discovery of manipulated
media.