[Libs-Or] Learn with the OLA Staff Training Roundtable

Tracey Letmate traceyl at multco.us
Tue Jun 16 14:47:12 PDT 2020

The OLA Staff Training Roundtable is hosting two peer discussion sessions
in June and July. See below for the details and sign up in advance to
attend. <https://forms.gle/QfXRnu1sc7xbr2sTA>

*Session 1: Untraining our staff *Thursday, June 25 9:00 - 10:15 am

Most library systems have adopted customer service models that encourage
staff to find ways to “get to yes” to meet our patrons’ needs. However, in
today’s new reality, as we start opening up library locations again, staff
are going to have to deliver more “nos” than ever before. This will require
“untraining” staff on new ways of thinking about customer service and
safety, while still maintaining our ability to serve our patrons.

During this 75 minute session some of our Staff Training Roundtable members
will discuss the concept of “untraining” and share some ideas. Participants
will then work together in breakout sessions to apply these concepts and
discuss different strategies for “untraining” your staff.

*Session 2: Moving your training to the virtual world*Tuesday, July 21 9:00
- 10:15 am

Since March, when Oregon was issued a stay at home order, and most of the
state was shut down, everyone has been bombarded with “online learning”
opportunities. The reality is that the future of training (at least for a
while) will be in an online environment. You may have already started
asking yourself… how do I do that? Do I try to conduct “live” training
sessions or do I create “canned” just in time learning? How do I build in
activities so that the learner is doing more than just listening to someone
talk over slides (...zzzzzz....)? If it is a live session, how can I
replicate the pair and share or group activities that were so successful in
the classroom?

During this 75 minute session, some of our Staff Training Roundtable
members will discuss “virtual” training concepts, talk about the various
options and share some ideas about modifying the classroom experience.
Participants will then work together in breakout sessions to apply these
concepts and share ideas and best practices. This session will work best if
you bring a training idea with you. What’s the class you know you need to
teach, but are stuck on how to do it?

*Tracey Letmate *
Manager, Learning and Organizational Development
Multnomah County Library
919 NE 19th Ave. Ste. 250, Portland, OR 97232
My Schedule: Monday through Friday
503.988.9324 multcolib.org
*Pronouns: she/her/hers*

*Learning + Organization Development: Consultation. Training. Assistance.
<https://commons.multcolib.org/learning-organizational-development>*