[Libs-Or] Computer classes in small libraries

Marta Murvosh murvosh at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 09:05:21 PDT 2020

Hi Carol,
Before I became a teen librarian, I worked as a library assistant and what we called a public services assistant-technical liaison - basically that's fancy talk for one of my responsibilities was helping adults with technology.
I still do a lot of tech teaching on the fly at the information desk.

I'm at one of the larger libraries in Sno-Isle Libraries and have worked at the smaller libraries as well. I've really noticed that patrons' needs for computer instruction goes in cycles and this has a lot to do with the job market and patrons' abilities (or lack) to complete tasks on a computer related to their jobs or enjoyment of life (emailing/Facebooking friends/family) accessing specific services, such as the Social Security, Unemployment or their doctor's online portal.
Since we'll all be coming back to libraries where job seekers will be dying to get onto the computers, you might consider working with the Oregon agencies that can help with teaching basically computer skills related to job seeking (resume formatting, applying for jobs online, etc.) If it's possible to partner with them, especially if they have a mobile computer lab, you and your staff could focus on basics (computer mouse and keyboard) but also other classes your community might need.
The techs at my library have a suite of classes they cycle through, including intro to Excel, Word, Overdrive/Libby, photo manipulation with free software because everyone wants to get the red eyes out. We base the offerings on what is asked for frequently and whether or not the registration fills. Some classes are intro and overview with a little hands on, some are more hands out.
You also might consider offering a drop-in session about using your computer (be super careful about the wording in the description so you don't get people thinking your the Geek Squad) and 30- to 45-minute Book a Librarian slots for people who can't make classes or their learning style is more suited to individual study.
Personally I love the PLA and GWCF because there are printable directions that I can pass out.
That said, I think it does a disservice to patrons to teach them the steps. I prefer to teach a mindset that focuses on experimentation, practice time (such as encouraging them to use email 2-3 times a week to practice) and removing barriers such as fear.
For me it is super helpful is to compare using the computer to learning to drive a car. Most people know how to drive Older patrons often tell me they just feel dumb compared to their grandkids when it comes to computers.
So I ask them: How long have you been driving? And they usually say a long time. Then I ask them: If a teenager was learning how to drive without instructions or just the driver's ed book, how do you think that would go? They laugh or cringe. I remind them that they have been driving driving long enough that those skills come natural.
I tell patrons that the learning computer skills is just like learning to drive.
I say, if you crash your car, someone could get hurt and you're out of a chunk of cash, but if you crash the computer, it's easy to fix. We just restart it. And I also tell them, I don't think you're gonna crash because you're smart and good a driving so I know you can do this. This removes a lot of the fear.
I invite them to sit in the driver's seat and to look around just as if they were sitting down in a car that is new to them. I suggest they adjust the seat, tilt the screen and move the keyboard, just like they would adjust the mirrors, steering wheel and seat.

I carry this metaphor through the instruction. For example, if they are in a browser or a program and they want to know where to find something, I tell them when they are in a program, it's just like driving, they should scan the road by rolling their mouse over the menus (pointing out what a menu is and how the words telling them what the command is appear.) I remind them that scanning the screen is like when you drive and they automatically scan the side and rear-view mirrors, watch the speedometer and temp gauge.
This way I'm teaching them how to learn how to use all software, not just pointing out where things are in a specific program. (I warn them that software gets updated, so sometimes using a computer is like driving a car after someone moved everything around.)

I do a lot of this in the form of questions: What do you do if your driving someplace unfamiliar online or get lost? You turn around until you find a place that looks familiar or get directions. Then I show them the browser back button and how to ask directions or to ask the info desk.

If they don't drive, I ask them if they have any hobbies and how long it look to learn that hobby and see if I can tweak my metaphor for that hobby. (Most people drive or have driven.)

I'm an Emporia grad so I like hanging out in the Oregon listserv because it's awesome. Wish WLA had something like this.
I hope this helps.
Best,
Marta

Marta Murvosh, MLS