[Libs-Or] Invitation to participate: TSRT - EDI in Cataloging Discussion

Emily O'Neal emilyo at dpls.lib.or.us
Thu Jun 25 14:19:37 PDT 2020

Hi fellow OLA members,
I want to welcome you all to an engagement opportunity presented to you from the Technical Services Round Table: TSRT - Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Cataloging and Discovery: Brainstorming Discussion

This meeting is a facilitated discussion around what Technical Services, specifically cataloging and discovery, can be doing within our bibliographic records to help aid in the discovery of titles within our collections that speak toward EDI initiatives. Looking beyond adding titles to our collections, how do we help our customers find them? Examples of the types of scenarios we are trying to brainstorm solutions for include:

- Being able to easily find titles written by authors from under represented populations for use in displays, reading recommendations and marketing pushes
- Being able to easily search for and find titles for customers that represent own voice
- Being able to easily retrieve full lists of titles to create dedicated displays highlighting underrepresented voices
- Have a way to easily search for specific attributes so that when working with a customer during reader's advisory, we can seamlessly offer titles written by or with characters/situations within the book that speak to diverse populations.

The intention of our meeting/brainstorming session is to talk about these challenges and see what our colleagues and cohorts are doing across the state to see if we want to implement these solutions locally.

The meeting date and time are:
Location: Zoom
Date: Friday, July 17th
Time: 10:00 a.m. - 11:00a.m.

I will have some facilitated discussion questions to help prompt discussions but please also bring your ideas, thoughts, and intentions to participate.

Thank you all for your thought and dedication to this discussion!
Best,
Emily O'Neal
Vice-Chair, In-coming Chair - TSRT

OLA vmeeting is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: My MeetingTSRT - EDI in Cataloging and Discovery Brainstorming Discussion
Time: Jul 17, 2020 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82786879413?pwd=NU1CQXlJeC9UNEkzVmpmNnFGc2hnUT09

Meeting ID: 827 8687 9413
Password: 846226
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,82786879413# US (Tacoma)
+13462487799,,82786879413# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 827 8687 9413
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kebHJ1WCSv

Emily O'Neal, M.L.S.
Technical Services Manager
Deschutes Public Library
(541) 617-7061
emilyo at deschuteslibrary.org<mailto:emilyo at deschuteslibrary.org>
http://www.deschuteslibrary.org<http://www.deschuteslibrary.org/>
[Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services Logo]