[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacoun] ALA takes responsibility for past racism, pledges a more equitable association

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 13:55:03 PDT 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Marsha Burgess <mburgess at ala.org>
Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 1:26 PM
Subject: [alacoun] ALA takes responsibility for past racism, pledges a more
equitable association
To: ALA Council List <alacoun at lists.ala.org>

*The following message is sent on behalf of the American Library
Association President Julius C. Jefferson, Jr.*

CHICAGO — The American Library Association (ALA) accepts and acknowledges
its role in upholding unjust systems of racism and discrimination against
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) within the association and
the profession.

We recognize that the founding of our Association was not built on
inclusion and equity, but instead was built on systemic racism and
discrimination in many forms. We also recognize the hurt and harm done to
BIPOC library workers and communities due to these racist structures.

We commit to our core values, particularly equity, diversity, and
inclusion, and will demonstrate this commitment by reassessing and
reevaluating our role in continuing to uphold unjust, harmful systems
throughout the Association and the profession. We will include ALA members,
ALA staff, and the profession in our movement forward, and we are
developing a plan toward becoming the inclusive association we aspire to
be. Going forward we commit to the following:

   - To engage in dialogue with our members to inform our path forward,
   - To continue assessing our governance structure such as through the
   Forward Together recommendations, and
   - To address the disparities in access to information for BIPOC.

We take responsibility for our past, and pledge to build a more equitable
association and library community for future generations of library workers
and supporters.

Sincerely,

Julius C. Jefferson, Jr.

ALA President

--
*Diedre Conkling*
*diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

“If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude.”―Maya Angelou