[Libs-Or] Fwd: Information about the 2020 ALA Annual Conference & Exhibition related to Coronavirus COVID 19.

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 11:40:41 PST 2020

FYI

--------- Forwarded message ---------

From: Michael Dowling <mdowling at ala.org>
Date: Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 6:18 PM
Subject: [alacro-l] ALA Annual Conference
To: alacro-l at lists.ala.org <alacro-l at lists.ala.org>

*Information about the 2020 ALA Annual Conference & Exhibition related to
Coronavirus COVID 19.*

ALA is mindful of the valid concerns and questions from members regarding
the 2020 Annual Conference & Exhibition (June 25-30, 2020, Chicago, IL) in
relation to Coronavirus COVID 19.

As of today, ALA is proceeding with the event as planned and putting
together an amazing conference for this Summer.

While you’ve undoubtedly heard that some organizations have cancelled
events scheduled for the coming months, many of those cancelled events
include a large demographic of international travelers or take place in
areas with a high incidence of infection. At this time, we are following
recommendations from federal agencies like the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention <https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html>,
reviewing travel advisories issued by the State Department, and working
with our conference partner, the McCormick Place Convention Center
<https://mailchi.mp/4cdb0834d342/mccormick-place-fall-update-3239945?e=f62eac82a5>
increase the availability of hand sanitizer and hand washing stations,
among other measures.

We do understand some organizations have implemented their own travel bans
and recognize that traveling to conferences is a choice that each attendee
will need to make, based on his or her individual situation. ALA will
continue to monitor the situation and will provide updates regarding any
notable changes in conference schedules or travel issues.

Please visit the ALA pandemic preparedness resource page
<http://www.ala.org/tools/atoz/pandemic-preparedness> for more information
about how libraries can be community partners in response to this outbreak.
*Diedre Conkling*
*diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

“If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude.”―Maya Angelou