[Libs-Or] OLA statement to close public, academic, tribal, and special libraries

OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Wed Mar 18 09:56:29 PDT 2020

March 18, 2020

As a leader and advocate for Oregon libraries, Oregon Library Association
(OLA) is calling on all library administrators, governing boards, and local
governments to close public, academic, tribal, and special libraries in
Oregon for the foreseeable future.

OLA  commends the libraries and local officials who have already made the
very difficult decision to close their doors to the public.

This action we are requesting is in keeping with the American Library
Association’s recommendation to close libraries
<http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2020/03/ala-executive-board-recommends-closing-libraries-public>
and Oregon Governor Brown’s Executive Orders to limit gatherings and close
schools.

Given that school closures place undue pressure on libraries, any that
remain open would contribute to potential spread of Coronavirus. Our
library staff and patrons are at risk as long as our public institutions
are open. The health and safety of library workers and the communities they
serve are of the utmost importance.

This is a challenging time for us, the nation, and the world as we respond
to COVID-19 and the uncertainty surrounding it. We will do our best to stay
on top of this quickly evolving and fluid situation and communicate with
you regularly.

Sincerely,

Elaine Hirsch

Oregon Library Association President, 2019-2020

olapresident at olaweb.org