[Libs-Or] Fwd: [UWMOSAIC] Equity First Coaches Institute Part I – Examining Personal Assumptions About Race

Max Macias max.macias at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 14:38:07 PST 2020

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Anselmo Villanueva <anselmo.villanueva at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 1:22 PM
Subject: [UWMOSAIC] Equity First Coaches Institute Part I – Examining
Personal Assumptions About Race
To: <uwmosaic at u.washington.edu>

Equity First Coaches Institute Part I – Examining Personal Assumptions
About Race

*Dates:* January 12, 14, 19, 21, 26, 28, 2021

*Time:* 4:30-6:30 pm EST

*Cost:* $300 for non-affiliates, $275 for affiliates, and $250 for groups
of 3 or more (email chris at schoolreforminitiative.org to register a group)

*Contact:* Chris Jones chris at schoolreforminitiative.org

*Information and registration:*

https://www.schoolreforminitiative.org/events/equity-first-coaches-institute-part-i-examining-personal-assumptions-about-race-2/

*Session Outcomes*

With an explicit focus on racial equity, you will gain skills for using SRI
tools and processes to support:

   - Identifying and naming your own assumptions and beliefs about race,
   class and culture in schools;
   - Exploring your racial equity journey to identify the current stage of
   your racial identity development;
   - Examining how your assumptions and beliefs about race, class and
   culture impact student outcomes; and
   - Facilitating discussions and adult collaboration in learning
   communities using protocols that explicitly focus on issues of racial
   equity.

This six-day virtual training is not another surface level conversation
about race or a quick solution to a persistent issue. It is for leaders,
teacher leaders, and educators who want tools to build your capacity to
access, engage, and sustain complex and challenging conversations about
racial equity, identity, and implicit bias that lead to better action in
schools. The work of dismantling oppressive and racist leadership and
teaching practices begins with us doing our personal work first.

During this virtual experience you will engage in such activities as the
discussion of texts, equity-centered dilemma protocols, and
autobiographical storytelling that will support understanding and
articulating your own racial identity. You will also learn how to coach
others to begin to develop a level of critical racial consciousness so that
the influence of race and culture in our schools becomes personal and
immediate.