[Libs-Or] Civics - LSTA, Think Out Loud and Tuesday's workshop!

dcohen at hevanet.com dcohen at hevanet.com
Mon Nov 16 09:28:15 PST 2020

Hello all,

Interview on Think Out Loud - a good discussion of all the Civics for Adults
workshops.

Civics educator aims to enhance knowledge and engagement in political
process

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/10/30/civics-educator-aims-to-enhance-knowl
edge-and-engagement-in-political-process/

Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda

November 17. 6-7:30. Sponsored by Bandon Public Library.  Registration link:
Contact Bandon Public Library to register. 541-347-3221 or
bandonlibrary2018 at gmail.com <mailto:bandonlibrary2018 at gmail.com>

Civics for Adults would like to partner with a library/libraries for a LSTA
grant:

Civics for Adults workshops "Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire Civic
Engagement". Workshops constantly evolve, content grows richer, incorporates
current issues, and highlights core questions about our political system and
accentuates key structural themes - all in a nonpartisan way.

Dozens of libraries and over a thousand participants have now benefitted
from Civics for Adults workshops. And, now, the virtual world has allowed
libraries all over Oregon to offer their patrons a way to take part. A LSTA
grant would expand opportunities for many libraries.

Imagine one scenario - many libraries sharing provision of the workshops.
Every month all four workshops available to the public throughout Oregon. A
dozen libraries sponsoring them via a LSTA grant. 48 workshops in total.
Each library holds some spaces for its patrons, then opens the rest to
library patrons everywhere.

We know from data that the public desperately needs to expand critical
thinking skills, knowledge of how our political system works and the many
ways to be involved civically. Public libraries are THE places for lifelong
civic education!

Please contact me if you would like to consider this. Thanks.

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcohen at hevanet.com <mailto:dcohen at hevanet.com>

Civics for Adults - and Others - Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and
Inspire Political Engagement

Webpage www.civicthinker.info <http://www.civicthinker.info>

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

"My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not
right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!" Rep. John Lewis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY