[Libs-Or] Updated COVID-19 Materials Handling Advice

Cindy Gibbon cindyg at multco.us
Thu Oct 8 14:45:21 PDT 2020

Buzzy, one of the things that would be helpful to know about the OHA
evaluation is how much information did the evaluators have about actual
conditions in our libraries.  Did they understand, for example, that
materia  are stacked in bins or crates while waiting to be checked in,
which apparently allows the virus to survive for longer based on the REALM
study?  Were they aware that in busy libraries, a single staff member might
remove from a book drop and/or check in as many as 35 crates of items (with
30-35 items per crate) in a single day--or more?  Obviously we have not way
of knowing how many of those items might have been sneezed on by an
infected person, but I know it would help library staff who handle
materials to feel confident that the health professionals at OHA who
evaluated the studies had a realistic idea of what their jobs entail.

And lest it not be obvious because I'm asking these questions, thanks so
much to OSL for taking the initiative to get this advice for us.  We
appreciate it very much!
*Cindy*

*Cindy Gibbon (she, her, hers)*
*Director of Policy and Special Projects*
My schedule: Monday through Friday
Multnomah County Library
503.988.5496
multcolib.org

*Did you notice my font is large *for better accessibility?  Experts
recommend <http://createsend.com/t/d-ABFFF5F25EC93A19> we use at least 14pt
font size with Arial or Verdana fonts for best readability.